Awkward sitting position

Geenie

Jan 28, 2022
Hello,

This is my first time posting here. I am a care assistant, but I am now full time carer for my Nan.

She is late stages Alzheimer’s, but still mobile with a frame. She has recently been in hospital due to back pain which is due to a crumbling spine.
My Nan used to sit on the sofa with her top half laying down, but her feet on the floor. We think could be making the pain worse, so we have purchased a recliner chair for her. She still chooses to sit in this position in the recliner arm chair, curled up, which is obviously hurting her back.
I try to tell her that’s what’s making her back hurt, but obviously she forgets, and as soon as we leave she goes back into that position.

This is the first time I have ever seen any one not sit upright in a chair, was wondering if any one else has experienced this? And if any one has advise on how to get her to sit upright?

Thank you in advance! X

Caroline T

Mar 22, 2021
Hello @Geenie,

My Mum has Alzheimers and also struggles to sit upright in a chair, she tends to push herself down and we are frightened of her failing on the floor.
Mum has lost all mobility and has balance problems with sitting straight. The care home is measuring her for a special chair, that tilts backwards and wraps around the body for comfort. It is called a curtain chair and is padded for comfort.
Something similar may suit your Nan, it is also on wheels, so. the person can be moved around and outside.
Take care, Caroline

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
@Geenie my mother had osteoporosis and her favoured sitting position was leaning forward as this increased the spaces slightly between the vertebrae slightly This is a very painful condition so it may be analgesia needs reviewing?.

The fact your Nan reverts to a foetal (curled) position maybe her attempt at reducing pain

Geenie

Jan 28, 2022
Hello @Geenie,

My Mum has Alzheimers and also struggles to sit upright in a chair, she tends to push herself down and we are frightened of her failing on the floor.
Mum has lost all mobility and has balance problems with sitting straight. The care home is measuring her for a special chair, that tilts backwards and wraps around the body for comfort. It is called a curtain chair and is padded for comfort.
Something similar may suit your Nan, it is also on wheels, so. the person can be moved around and outside.
Take care, Caroline
Sorry to hear about your mum. But that’s amazing I’ve never heard of a curtain chair, thank you so much Caroline. I will look into this x

Geenie

Jan 28, 2022
@Geenie my mother had osteoporosis and her favoured sitting position was leaning forward as this increased the spaces slightly between the vertebrae slightly This is a very painful condition so it may be analgesia needs reviewing?.

The fact your Nan reverts to a foetal (curled) position maybe her attempt at reducing pain

Thank you so much, I was thinking the same. It must be the most comfortable position for her to keep going back to it.
I will speak with the doctor about pain relief x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Geenie
a warm welcome to DTP
I wonder whether the GP (or Local Authority Adult Services) would make a referral to an OT or pysiotherapist who may be able to suggest aids to help your nan, or help you with choosing a suitable chair if the recliner isn't as good as you'd hoped