"Away from Her"

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't know whether anyone has seen any reviews for this movie, or even when it will be released in the UK. I also suspect that most TP posters won't go and see it because the subject matter is a bit to close to home, but I think that anything that increases awareness of this disease is to be applauded.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0491747/

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi jennifer, I`ve heard about this film, but whether I want to see it or not, I`m not sure.

love

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Personally, I go to movies for escapism, so I'm reasonably certain it won't be on my viewing list. I suspect it won't have the success that the reviews suggest it deserves: those touched by AD probably won't want to see it, and it won't appeal to the "car chase" crowd.

Blacksheep

Nov 2, 2006
South East
Reviews state it was released in the UK on April 27th. Think I will wait for release on DVD for this one if I watch it, I hate crying at the cinema.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I have not seen it yet, but just as some background, one of the reasons for the recent Daily Mail article that Jan, Nina and I were in was that the paper was looking for a family which in some way echoed the theme of the film - that of a wife moving into care.

I'll probably see it sometime, as I like to gauge how well the media can handle a topic such as this, how accurate they are able to be.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Think I will get the DVD when it comes out - went to see Iris at the cinema, and sat silently sobbng throughout- this will be one to watch in the privacy of my own home!
Helen

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Hi Helen

I too will wait for the DVD, as It will almost certainly be a weepy.
I like Julie Christie, I cried like a baby when I went to see 'Far From The Madding Crowd', when it first came out.
I'm sure she will be a convincing Alzheimer sufferer and alot of people in similar situation will critisise it for 'not being 'true to life'.
It's a film based on a VERY 'real life' subject, amd to get peoples attention, they have added a kind of 'Love Story'.
When they make a 'Hollywood Movie' (got to be a mixture of comedy, of course) about a 55 year old woman, who has her 82 year old mum, with Alzheimers, come to live with them. I would go to see it, if only to see if they got it right.

Anyway, if anything can make people aware of this terrible ILLNESS, thats good.
Take care Bye for now

Janetruth x

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Away From Her versus What Do You See?

Hello, thanks for posting this thread Jennifer.
I am doing an evening class in 'Writing Reviews' and our tutor mentioned this film two weeks back. (It's a Canadian film and as she is Canadian herself she is quite proud of the young Canadian director of the film, Sarah Polley)

As it happens we were recently given a course assignment to write a couple of reviews of one film and I immediately thought that ' Away From Her' would be a good film to do. By chance the Alzheimer's Society Share magazine arrived very soon after containing an offer of free tickets to Share readers who entered a simple quiz, which I immediately did. The free tickets thing would have been very welcome for me as I am suffering from lack of employment etc at the moment.

I duly did the quiz and emailed the response but heard nothing further. Today is the last day for tickets in the London area, so I guess I won't be going via that route.
Anyway, I then began to wonder whether I would sit there blubbing or if I ought to take someone with me to nudge me in the ribs and remind me to be more impartial. Now I'm running out of time as the assignment is due in next Wednesday. Not sure whether to pursue this or not. I've ordered a cheap copy of the short story which the film is based on ("The Bear Came Over the Mountain" by Alice Munro), so perhaps if I read that first it will give sufficient idea of the likely emotional fallout from the film!

I was given a free copy of another film about care issues called " What Do You See?" with Virginia McKenna which I might review instead, but it's very short and I think I would still prefer to see Away From Her if I can steel myself sufficiently.
( It would be great to wait for the DVD so I could see it in private, but I don't have time to wait for that.)Advice?

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'm for the DVD too! In fact I have to do that with all the films I want to see now, because John can't sit through one. The trouble is, finding time to view them!

It's definitely on my list, though!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'll be seeing it soon

I intend to see it in the theatre. I saw "Iris" in the theatre. Surprisingly, I did not cry. I loved it and have seen it again twice.

I also saw "The Notebook" in the theatre & did not like it at all. I felt the depiction of the disease was wrong, wrong, wrong and the cornball ending irritated me to no end. However, lots of other people liked it so my opinion only. I don't care for the "Hollywood" treatment of serious issues as a rule, hence my dislike of "The Notebook", even though I like James Garner and Gena Rowlands.

I'm one of those people who just has to see all the shows & movies about AD. I have an enormous need to see everything.

Joanne

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Deborah, I don't know whether it would be any help, but lastminute.com offer "standby" tickets for Vue cinemas in the London area. They're £4.75 (£4.25 + 50p handling charge) and I have no idea whether they are even showing this film, but it might be worth looking at.