Away From Her -film

forgetmenot

Jul 6, 2007
London
I went to see this today at my local cinema. First I was disappointed that there was only one showing a day for this week only so people who work during the week (like myself) could not have gone unless they had seen it advertised on the Alzheimer's website. Secondly it was a very poor potrayal of what life is like with alzheimers. I have contacted the Alzheimer's society about this as it gave the wrong impression altogether what it is like to be a carer. A person with Alzheimers cannot make a decision to go in to a care home or learn about this awful condition. That is not my experience.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Not seen it , do you have a link to it for the trailer .

have contacted the Alzheimer's society about this as it gave the wrong impression altogether what it is like to be a carer.

Why did they have anything to do with the making of the film ?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just seen the trailer . seen the wife went into care home early .

I get the impression its more to do with the emotion feeling of the husband being parted for his wife , while he see her talking to other men in care home forgetting him while the disease progresses , how distress she look when he try to make her understand that she still his wife ?

What do you think forgetmenot ?

That may be why the film called forgetmenot ( if you get my point )

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I haven't seen it but already it is discounted 66% at Amazon, which is unusual for a new film.

Makes it more affordable for us of course, at almost £6... :)

The challenge is that films are made for the mass market. The mass market doesn't want to know what being a carer for someone with dementia is like. They go to films to be entertained, not to be informed.

I believe the fact that a film has been made that even mentions dementia is a great thing, even more so when the actress, who plays someone with dementia, gets awards for her performance.

I'll get it on DVD but am just piqued that this film, plus Atonement, STILL manage to come under the £15 that gets free postage!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
They go to films to be entertained, not to be informed.

Its true
I haven't seen it but already it is discounted 66% at Amazon, which is unusual for a new film

may be it not do to good at the cinema , so they sell it at a cheap price because its an emotional film of feeling , seeing a love one love , being taken away with a disease , to hard emotional for the viewer to watch .

where the Film " Not Book " had a story line twist , as they show a love story at the beginning of the film , before anyone realizes the wife has now AZ or they husband wife , as he read the woman a love story . it's like his just reading a story to friend at the beginning of the film , so that film may of done better at the cinema when it first came out

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Have not seen the film, but I guess it's just one story.

Quoted by forgetmenot:
as it gave the wrong impression altogether what it is like to be a carer

As all people are not the same, so surely all carers experiences are different.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I did see the film and I was a little disappointed also. It was not a bad film, the actors were very good, it's just the facts of AD could have been a little more accurate.

I think it is possible for someone in early stages to make decisions about their future, I simply don't know if they would make rational, logical decisions. It would depend on the day.

On balance, it was a better film than "The Notebook", which had Gena Rowlands' character switching from almost catatonia to complete lucidity in a matter of seconds. It was not as good as "Iris".

I think it really was supposed to be more from the viewpoint of the husband. Gordon Pinsent is a favourite of mine so that's why I saw it.

Overall, I would still recommend it, with the reservations mentioned.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
almost catatonia

I do hope you do not mind me saying , but I keep reading that word
Catatonic in reference to how people with AZ look like sometime .

I always perceived Catatonic patients would sometimes hold rigid poses for hours . so look it up in case I was wrong

Stupor - lack of response to external stimuli - e.g., no response to being spoken to or prodded

Catalepsy - muscular rigidity, so that the limbs remain in whatever position they are placed.

Excessive motor activity with no purpose

Extreme negativism - resistance to movement or instruction

Mutism - being unable or unwilling to speak

Inappropriate postures and grimacing

Echolalia - parrotlike repetition of a word or phrase just spoken by another person

Echopraxia - repetitive imitation of the movements of another person http://bipolar.about.com/cs/faqs/f/faq_catatonic.htm

I would not say that ena Rowlands' character was almost catatonia . Oh yes she have a complete lucidity in a matter of seconds, but only One time, when she recognized her husband in the film over a meal . The rest of the time she look like you or me , but did not recognize her husband or children , grandchildren

I suppose we all perceive thing different

Last edited:

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I'll get it on DVD but am just piqued that this film, plus Atonement, STILL manage to come under the £15 that gets free postage!

Dementia does come into the storyline in 'Atonement' also.

You'll just have to order extra items to get your free postage Bruce! :)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
You'll just have to order extra items to get your free postage Bruce
that's how I sneak in the little purchases I might not otherwise have made....

Last time I did this was to get the soundtrack CD for the first "Pirates of the Caribbean" film, which is great music. The good film soundtracks seem to have become the new classical music, with a composer who understands musical form and an orchestra of real people playing instruments well. Very little of that about today!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Maggie,
Good point about Gena Rowlands' character. I saw the movie in the theatre when it came out & didn't like it. I guess I was just remembering one point when she seemed to be very unresponsive. Thinking back, yes, she certainly didn't know anybody but she wasn't catatonic as such. I stand corrected.:eek:

What I should have said was how the character seemed to go from later stage AD (no recognition etc) to complete lucidity in literally seconds and then back again.

I still don't like the movie.:)

forgetmenot

Jul 6, 2007
London
thank you for your comments. The woman decided to go into a care home and there was a policy of no visiting for 30 days. That itself is wrong. It did not give care homes a good image. It was a disgrace the husband having an affair with another carer. It was recommended by the Alzheimers society hence going to watch it, but as I say it was a very poor picture of both the carer and the person with dementia. The cinema is only showing it one viewing a day at mid-day which is not convenient for most people who work and care for someone with dementia, hence going on a Sunday, but it is only on this week so not going to get a good audience is it.

sony

Jan 28, 2006
Armagh, Northern Ireland
I just noticed on teletext entertainment news that the US Alzheimer's Association has warned Julie Christie to be a bit more sensitive at this weekends Oscar's. This is apparantly after she joked while accepting her Screen Actors Guild Award...while giving her acceptance speech she said "And if I’ve forgotten anybody, well, it’s just that I’m still in character."

Bit insensitive alright...!

I haven't seen the film so can't comment further...I did catch the end of 'The Notebook' the other night though and it looked thoroughly unrealistic!!

My Two Cents!

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I just noticed on teletext entertainment news that the US Alzheimer's Association has warned Julie Christie to be a bit more sensitive at this weekends Oscar's. This is apparantly after she joked while accepting her Screen Actors Guild Award...while giving her acceptance speech she said "And if I’ve forgotten anybody, well, it’s just that I’m still in character."

Bit insensitive alright...!

I saw this too. Talk about 1 step forward, 2 steps back...:(

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What I should have said was how the character seemed to go from later stage AD (no recognition etc) to complete lucidity in literally seconds and then back again.

yes Joanne now I do wonder about that also . is that just generalizing people with AZ or does it really happen is what I would like to know ?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Well, after the mostly negative reviews here about the film I was going to give it a miss.

However, today I drove Jan's hairdresser the 20 miles from his house to her care home, and back, and during the journey he said "I've got a film you may like to see - it is very good".

Of course it was this one.

We watched it last night and to review it requires a person to wear 4 caps [at least].

Cap 1. Carer
Cap 2. Someone who has not experienced dementia in anyone
Cap 3. Writer/producer/director
Cap 4. Actor

As a carer, there were things I recognised, and there were things that seemed bizarre. There was nothing of a hands-on 24/7 caring role but the premise of the film was that the character wanted to spare her spouse that.

The home itself - on either floor that we saw - had no difficult residents. No really challenging behavioural scenes.

There was none of the horrible anguish on the part of either the person with dementia, or the husband.

Jan's hairdresser has only experienced dementia through Jan in the time he has looked after her hair, for 10 years before her dementia, and the 15 since. He watched it and took many of the very true vignettes in to his head. Nobody who has not experienced dementia first hand would really wish to see a 100% true to life film about everyday caring. There would be no audience.

A writer/etc needs to get as many points across, but in the context of a wider story. I thought they did it well, and without unduly stressing things. The note she left him where she spelled her name wrongly - many might not have noticed that but it was very close to home for me.

For an actor it must be so difficult not to over egg the pudding, yet still to get across the vulnerability, and Julie Christie was great - well deserved awards for her.

Overall it was quite difficult to watch, but worth it.

On a different level, it was lovely to see the snowy landscapes of Canada.

Blacksheep

Nov 2, 2006
South East
Decided to wait for this one to come out on DVD rather than seeing at the cinema, as I hate to cry in public. Is always out on rental when I go to my local rental store.

Watched the notebook on television in February and was annoyed at the 'sanitised' account it gave of dementia, tho' as others have pointed out, who would watch a film that showed the realities of life as a carer?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa