Awake

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
That's redickulous they seriously need to make some changes they bang on about being dementia friendly wen they don't have a clue! Most of the staff are lovely don't get me wrong there just too stretched and don't understand how it is or wot it's like If there was lots of people making noise I could understand it but one person tucked up the corner which I was it wouldn't hurt I weren't making any noise just sorting grandad wen he needed some thing and taking the opportunity to shut my eyes in the chair wen I could your aloud to stay with patients wen there first there admitted but strict visiting after I don't even no if they have changed him or even run out of pads his not seen the incontinence nurse yet that's next week iv been buying everything so don't no weather they will even put him in pads good luck to them if they don't his double incontinent haha

Thank you for all your really kind comments means a lot to me feeling over whelmed and rather stretched lack of sleep does not help take care

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Awww bless, lack of sleep is the worst, please let me know how you getting on today my lovely:) wishing you a peaceful, less stressed day. Thinking of you xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Pumpkin

That's redickulous they seriously need to make some changes they bang on about being dementia friendly wen they don't have a clue! Most of the staff are lovely don't get me wrong there just too stretched and don't understand how it is or wot it's like If there was lots of people making noise I could understand it but one person tucked up the corner which I was it wouldn't hurt I weren't making any noise just sorting grandad wen he needed some thing and taking the opportunity to shut my eyes in the chair wen I could your aloud to stay with patients wen there first there admitted but strict visiting after I don't even no if they have changed him or even run out of pads his not seen the incontinence nurse yet that's next week iv been buying everything so don't no weather they will even put him in pads good luck to them if they don't his double incontinent haha

Thank you for all your really kind comments means a lot to me feeling over whelmed and rather stretched lack of sleep does not help take care

This is an issue I had when my husband was in hospital. I spoke to the ward manager and said I would be making a formal complaint because he was unable to ask for help and because they would not allow me to stay with him .

I think, if you assure them you will not be in the way, just stay by your granddad`s bedside so you can help if he needs help , they might think again.

onlyme247

May 21, 2014
N.W.England
Thought I would just relate my last two weeks stay with my husband who has just come out of hospitals.There was no objection at all to me staying they even gave me a fold down bed next to him.When I nipped home to put wash in my sister sat with him.On leaving nurses and doctor thanked me.They also had one poor man who was wandering day and night a nurse was behind him constantly and would have been very gratefull for a relative to calm him.As we all know this is not always possible.We were on an acute ward as my husband was extremely sick.I have never in ten years of caring had any objection to my staying 24 hours with him even before dementia.Obviously we are the exception to the rule.If only you all could have the same.

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Thought I'd just give you an update iv been given the all clear to be here as much as I want which is a good thing :) on the other hand grandads chest infection is now numonia and we have been given the DNR speech so I don't think things are looking too good :(

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thought I'd just give you an update iv been given the all clear to be here as much as I want which is a good thing :) on the other hand grandads chest infection is now numonia and we have been given the DNR speech so I don't think things are looking too good :(

Glad you can now visit when ever you like but so sorry to hear your grandad is so poorly pumpkin :( stay strong much love to you Heike xxxx

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Thank you it's really confusing coz one minute grandad seems ok joking and laughing like normal :) and the next his really rattling as if his struggling to breath his got oxygen but the humbug don't like wearing it tho and keeps taking it off and smiling typical grandad :) did manage to give him a bed bath tho so least his clean makes yu feel a bit better wen ur fresh :) his got some strong anti biotics so fingers crossed he will pull thro he is a fighter and deffinately a character :) thank you for ur kind messages take care

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello pumpkins it's lovely to get smiles isent it so glad grandad seems to have perked up a bit and I hope he is on road to recovery. Been awake since 130 just can't sleep and don't really know why ?! Johns aneurysm CT wasn't too bad, he coped quite well even though we had to wait 2 hours as they were so busy! He was tired when we got home and after dinner fell asleep. It's very windy and my cats want to go out as they have seen me lol might have to let them in a min :) x

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Just seen this thread of yours Heike. Walking round with my eyes closed most of the time! I am so sorry to learn of John's aneurism. How worrying for you. X Love Shelagh:)

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Just seen this thread of yours Heike. Walking round with my eyes closed most of the time! I am so sorry to learn of John's aneurism. How worrying for you. X Love Shelagh:)

I am sure it will be fine Shelagh just glad the CT went ok as you know with Dementia it becomes a bit of a mission but John was a trooper and just got on with it and had a laugh with the nurses:D Wont find out till Friday what they will do. Its in his iliac aorta ie stomache but have to wait what GP says as they don't tell you anything at scan. Mind John did not like the iodine contrast injection much xx

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Brave man! The photos you posted of him showed his sense of humour. That will get him by - and you too of course. Thinking of you.X Love Shelagh:)

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Hi all been up a while but had to spend a while sorting this Desk Top out again. Keeps telling me there is no sound so have to reset before it behaves. Just the mention of going back to the Lap Top seems to work wonders. It's better being upstairs as I can hear Maureen if she wakes and fears she is on her own. Chick: hope things go well for John and you have a good day. Got off to a great start this morning as Maureen wondering where birthday book is and I had already found it: must still be telepathic. See vascular dementia you haven't taken us over completely we still have cunning plans that you are not aware of!:D

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
How can I change my husband's sleeping pattern? He insists on being in bed by 8 at the very latest often earlier. He is then up again at 11.30, between 1 and 2 am and then wide awake at 3-3.30am when he wants a cup of tea. He did go back to sleep for a while this morning but he's been up since 5.30. I am shattered. I just feel if I could keep him up till 10/10.30 then he might sleep till a more reasonable time but he gets very 'assertive' when he wants to go to bed!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That is so hard. I'm sorry I have no decent advice for you. My husband went through that phase and I know how exhausting it is. Thankfully that phase has passed for him. Have you asked the GP if there's anything that will help?

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Morning all :) I had I lovely nites sleep and slept right thro first time in a long time :) makes all the difference tho doesn't it feeling wide awake and ready to battle the world :) I'm glad johns CT went well and he coped ok with it

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Jinx does ur husband wear a watch or have a clock some where ?? I'm guessing so as he wants to go bed by 8 have yu tried changing the time on it (without him noticing) so wen it's 8 it's says it's 7pm for instance sneaky I no but it worked with grandad may be worth a try so after tea wen all important times have been and his just watching tell maybe change it and see :) grandad always went at 9 and would be up every nite between 3 and 5 it worked for a while keeping him up till half 9 or 10 depending how tired he was :) hope this helps

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
How can I change my husband's sleeping pattern? He insists on being in bed by 8 at the very latest often earlier. He is then up again at 11.30, between 1 and 2 am and then wide awake at 3-3.30am when he wants a cup of tea. He did go back to sleep for a while this morning but he's been up since 5.30. I am shattered. I just feel if I could keep him up till 10/10.30 then he might sleep till a more reasonable time but he gets very 'assertive' when he wants to go to bed!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

I don't have a solution and have no idea how you husband is. However I just wonder if your daily routine could be changed in any way? What would happen if you tried to do something at 8 o clock that diverts him from his normal pattern of behaviour? I sometimes think that Maureen wants to go to bed early because she is bored. Would a ride out in the car, if you have one, help at all? The only reason I suggest this is that it completely changed the thinking pattern of a relation with advanced dementia the other day when we called in the other day and he was driving his wife scatty. Sorry if all this is an unhelpful ramble.

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks izzy I deffinately needed it feel so much better for it and positive and ready to take on the day wot ever it throws at me :) going to get ready and go up the hosp to care for grandad :) hope yu all have a good and lovely day as can be :)