Awaiting care package to be in place

Welchy07

Feb 8, 2017
Hi, this is my first time posting, in brief : my dad has vascular dementia , diagnosed 26 years ago, in December he awoke , and was unable to walk or stand, hospitalised where they diagnosed advanced stage dementia : - up till then my mum only had 1 career 5 days a week for 30 mins in the morning. After assessments in hospital it has been agreed during a BI meeting for mum to have their living room turned into ads bedroom with :hospital bed, hoist , and large reclining chair as he now has no core muscle strength to sit safely, anyway, he will need 2 caters 4 times a day for 45 mins as he is terrified of the hoist and terrified of the rolling in bed to meet his personal needs, he has been on the "brokerage" list for 3 weeks and we still have no idea how long it will take for a care provider to pick it up, in the meantime due to the hospital needing his bed (respiratory ward he hgss been moved to a surgical ward (only ward with bed available) much to the disgust of his SW and OT Team , this has become long winded but my question is -has anybody else gave this happen and how long they waited dad been in now 9 weeks! Is there anything we can do he is SF (small contribution from him) - we are desperate to get him home tia

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Welchy, welcome to TP
A lot I guess depends on where you are, 3 weeks on a brokerage and nothing suggests there may be an issue. Does he live somewhere "out of the way" as travelling to and from the visits will take time which may be a factor. Likewise you now need people who are qualified to use the new equipment so that'll be harder to find.
Is there anything the LA do, like if no one wants the contract after X days they up the budget or does it just sit there until some one does?
I can't imaging the NHS are too impressed tying up a hospital bed while social services get their act together.
K

ricci1003

Feb 8, 2017
Implementing a care package for my mum took SS 8 weeks in GB. Even though she had paid taxes there for 45 years. Moving to Denmark where she had not paid tax nor resided a care package took 2 weeks to be implemented!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Welchy07
a warm welcome to TP
I hope things have moved along a little
as you say your dad is self-funding (though I'm not sure what you mean by a 'small contribution from him' as a self-funder pays all the fees), you can go ahead and make arrangements yourself - though usually brokering through the LA gets the care at their rates, and does mean they do the organising
have a look at the AS site link to local services here
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20011/find_support_near_you/?_ga=1.231929308.213745934.1462100281#!/search
I'm afraid the delay may well be due to the level of care needed, as Kevinl suggests - 4 carer visits every day, not all for 45 mins, is often the max arranged before the LA suggest a move to a care home - so finding 2 fully trained carers available from one care agency may be what is taking time
might your family consider/suggest a temporary move into a care home, for your dad to recuperate and while SS find a suitable care agency - probably better than staying in the hospital environment
best wishes to you all

Welchy07

Feb 8, 2017
Thanks all - since posting this we had a phone call from his SW we have a meeting with one of the care services on Monday going to arrange his care to start on 27th Feb - on a plus side he adjusted to the move to a new ward really well and care assessment remains the same - fingers crossed it all goes well and we will have all dads equipment delivered by Friday ready for his move home - and we have had a really good 3 days with him - but one heartbreaking 10 mins when we arrived yesterday ( mum and I) he was desperate to come with us and promised he could get up (trying to pull forward off the chair) but tearfully admitted he can't doit, so heart breaking to see. Hate this disease so much. Also my typing mistake dad is not self funding he is social services I think it called and contributed so much to it.