1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

Audiobooks from the Listening Books charity - free subscriptions available

Discussion in 'Books, film and music' started by HarrietD, Dec 29, 2014.

1. HarrietD

HarrietD Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2014
    London
    The national audiobook charity, Listening Books, provide an audiobook library service to 36,000 adults and children who struggle to read or hold printed books due to an illness, disability or learning difficulties.

They're currently offering free subscriptions for people living with dementia and their carers and relatives. Take a look below for more information:

You can read more about the charity and browse their library here: www.listening-books.org.uk

Please let us know if you have any questions :)

Best wishes,

Talking Point Team

2. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

I can't find on their website anything about it being free for dementia sufferers?

3. creativesarah

creativesarah Registered User

I tried again and found that there's a box to tick

4. Alexa1

Alexa1 Registered User

Feb 16, 2017
    Chicago
    The link is no more working.

5. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    #5 jenniferpa, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  6. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    The site is still there, it offers limited free membership to people who find it 'difficult to pay the membership fee' - no mention of dementia.

Attached Files:

7. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Unsurprising really, bearing in mind this was posted more than 2 years ago.

8. oilovlam

oilovlam Registered User

Aug 2, 2015
    South East
    Shame, because there is nothing better than an audio book for taking you to another world.

Some have suggested singing for the brain....mum is too far gone for that, in fact she gets upset because I think she feels left out.

Some have suggested listening to the radio....which is OK but I need the television. A good audio book could be the answer. But they aint cheap. I used to get them from the library but I'm not sure if that's an option in the local village library.

9. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    If you plod on along the 'find it difficult to pay' route you end up at a screen asking for confirmation of reading difficulty due to illness or disability.

Attached Files:

10. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I only have a very small branch of the County library here too but I download my audiobooks from the main County library website using the Overdrive facility.
    The audiobooks disappear after 1 or 2 weeks - your choice - if you download them directly to your iPod or MP3 player but if you download them to a computer instead and then transfer them, you keep them for as long as you want to.

11. Rich PCA Carer

Rich PCA Carer Registered User

Depending on where you live you may be able to access audio books from your library service either online or via the post. The service is available in Gloucestershire, but to be honest, the range of books is quite limited. You could try asking at your local library or searching on the internet for services provided by your county library service. The other alternative which costs money is an online streaming and download service. We have an Amazon Echo which my wife can still use, so we plan to try a service which is compatible with that.

12. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Our's is pretty good and for free is certainly worth trying.

13. HarrietD

HarrietD Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2014
    London
    Hi all,

Thanks for your comments about this. Listening Books have gotten in touch with us to say that they still have free memberships available if anyone is interested.

In their own words, 'our service is for anyone who struggles to read due to an illness, disability, or learning or mental health difficulty. Our free memberships are for anyone that would struggle to pay our subsidised membership fee, which starts at £20 per year.'

If anyone wants to become a member of Listening Books, you can join online through their website here or you can contact the library directly on 0207 234 0522 to join by phone.

Or if you prefer, you can email info@listening-books.org.uk and they can send out a postal application form.

Hope this helps :)

14. tigha

tigha New member

Nov 27, 2017
    not being funny, but how can people with alziemers read books,My mum who loved reading, had to stop about 12y ago as she couldnt remember what she had just read

15. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Kent
    I think the idea is that rather than read these books, you can listen. Some lose the ability to read but can still follow a story that is read to them.

16. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    I think the title is a bit confusing, they're normally called talking books. There's plenty of free download sites where you can download talking books free but they have to be out of copyright which is normally 70 years after the author dies so it's only really the classics that are available.
    If you google either Talking Books or Old Time Radio you'd be amazed at what's available.
    The site mentioned here seems to be supplying in copyright books for nothing which is unusual, presumably they've sorted out the copyright fees somehow.
    K