Audio Hallucinations

leafbean

Jan 29, 2016
Hi

Hello my mother suffers from musical hallucinations too. The consultant said too much time on her own was making it worse. She was calling the police and reporting them having parties when they were asleep in bed. Keeping her calm and quiet helps and nit over tired.

Yes we have had this with wanting to ring the police never happened yet and I think as you say it is worse when she is on her own hence the doc said to put the radio or TV on trouble is she always used to have the radio but not lately as the dementia has got worse she does not think to put it on also she forgets how it works thank Sue

leafbean

Jan 29, 2016
I've noticed recently that when I take a shower, I hear sounds now that I've never heard before in the shower. I don't know what they are, other than they aren't really there, other than in my head. Maybe I can hear things others can't. I don't know. I realized today that the sound I was hearing was actually the water going down the drain, but it had never sounded that way before to me. Odd. As odd goes, I didn't really give it much thought, and I still put in at the bottom of the list, but it is really odd the way these things come and go. I guess it is mid-evening over there on your side of the pond. It is around 2 in the afternoon here. I think I'm going to take a nap, since I got my usual 2 hours of sleep last night.

thanks for your reply thats really interesting I think lack of sleep does not help the problem either mum tends to get more distressed late afternoon and I think I read somewhere in Dementia its called sundowning ? thanks Sue

leafbean

Jan 29, 2016
Choirs

My grandmother used to hear choirs singing Christmas carols in the middle of summer, years before we understood she had dementia.

Its amazing what the brain does with dementia frightening really and yes we realise she had dementia quiet a bit earlier than we thought with her comments etc thank you Sue

leafbean

Jan 29, 2016
Good idea, I just said to my Doc that my Ma's time was limited and life was difficult enough without adding a crazy making UTI into the mix when it could be prevented and she saw the light lol. Sometimes they know they theory but they just don't get the reality

I just wondered if you had seen this info
This leaflet on compassionate communication is very useful - I found it very hard to master but I stuck it on my fridge to remind me every day and it really does work

Do have a look at it
http://www.ocagingservicescollabora...te-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired.pdf
Thank you this is good I have read certain ways to respond but this is great as it is so hard not to get frustrated with them and its not their fault thank you so much