Atypical Alzheimer's

Debj

Aug 11, 2018
My Mum has just been diagnosed with this condition. She is withdrawn and barely talks and this change has happened so suddenly. I'm advised there is little treatment wise and carers have been organised but I'm worried she is not safe at home .

Does anyone else know if this condition?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Good morning, @Debj, welcome to Talking Point. am sorry, I have never heard of this, except to say that even with a diagnosis that is shared with others, there seem to be so many differences. Is the sudden deterioration something that has happened very recently, because it could be that your mum has an infection. A urinary tract infection seems to be fairly common in dementia, and it can cause really drastic changes in behaviour, as can any illness. Even a cold can really exacerbate the symptoms of dementia.
As the day goes on and more members see your post, you may well find that someone else knows about the diagnosis you have been given.
You will find that the members are very supportive and helpful and , even though none of us are experts, there is a good knowledge and experience base to draw on.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Debj. Welcome to Talking Point.

I've just skimmed through the Alzheimers Society's information on Alzheimers disease but there's no mention of Atypical Alzheimers

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/alzheimers-disease

I wouldn't worry too much about the label. There are similarities and differences and we really need to recognise, through our knowledge of the individual, whether or not they are safe at home alone.

I know my mother went into residential care at a much earlier stage than my husband did. My husband had me with him 24/7 and was in a much safer environment.

We gave my mother as much care and supervision as we could but there were still many hours when she was by herself and it was a big worry.

Keep posting here. There are many carers who are caring for parents and I'm sure they will offer advice.and support.

Debj

Aug 11, 2018
Thank you all so much for your replies and the links which are so he!pfpful. Mum has an OT assessment pending as she lives alone and although in the past her routine was to go for a walk daily she had recently been found wandering, not fully dressed and very confused and I am 2 hours away and so worried. She was in hospital for a couple of days and all medical conditions including infection have been ruled out. The Memory Clinic appointment was pending and this diagnosis made.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello @Debj . My husband's consultant did, tentatively mention "atypical alzheimers disease", but I think it was more to describe the fact that my husband just didn't really fit the more common patterns of the disease. For many years, his memory was not too bad, but he had increasing paranoia. He was still very chatty, but would sometimes phrase things a little oddly (when he couldn't find the word for something, he would just find another way to say it). There was one time I remember, I had left him in town, and he was to come home on the bus, as he often did. Only this time, the bus had a different driver than the usual one, so my husband didn't get on! But, he was then able to go to a nearby shop , find my phone number, and have them call me to come and get him.
He didn't start noticeably displaying symptoms like short term memory loss, not recognising people, and loss of skills like reading, writing etc. until the last few years of his illness.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My Mum has just been diagnosed with this condition. She is withdrawn and barely talks and this change has happened so suddenly. I'm advised there is little treatment wise and carers have been organised but I'm worried she is not safe at home .

Does anyone else know if this condition?
My husband was diagnosed with atypical Alzheimers 4 years ago which I now understand means that your mum just doesn't fit any particular pattern of symptoms YET! Since then he has been labelled 'fronto variant', non-amnesiac Alzheimers and now it is non classical.

None of it really makes any difference. Things will progress at different times, there will be ups and downs and at the end of the day, a label won't make a scrap of difference. My experience of this seems to be that your mum just might progress fairly slowly.