Attendance allowance

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norman,

I didn't have too much trouble with this one, apart from the huge amount of paperwork involved and the fact that it took months!

Jude

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Had to open up and admit the awfullness of the situation in its every detail and was probably helped by Aunt being in a home. Matron filled in her bits to match (wandering, could be aggressive, prone to fall if unattended, incontinent, etc)

Otherwise it was straightforward. I'm guessing you will find it more difficult as you are a lone carer and the b******s won't believe you. They haven't got a clue have they.

The difference between standard and full allowance appeared to be whether care was needed at night. You can probably match their form by adding sheets and sheets of additional info to support your claim. Don't hold back and have a strong drink to hand for afterwards when you are left feeling as low as low can be.

Kriss

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
Full attendance allowance

Once you have the relevant forms, if you telephone and make an appointment with your local Citizens Advice Bureau, they will help you fill in the forms. Make sure you tell it like it is!!

Carol

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear Norman

I had no trouble getting the full allowance. But I did send a letter with the form as, with all forms they never quite cover your circumstances. If you wish I can send you a copy of my letter as a private message.

The only query I had from them was to say they wanted a copy of the EPA, which I duly sent. All this was quite early on in the illness soon after Margaret had been diagnosed as suffering from AD.

I was very suprised to find Margaret had been awarded the full allowance.

I can't now remember how long the process took but it didn't seem unduly long.

Hope this helps

Barraf

thompsonsom

Jul 4, 2004
halifax
Hi Norman

A good bit of advise was given at our local carers meeting. Get in touch with DART, they will send someone out to check if you are claiming everything you are entitled to and fill out all forms for you.
With attendance allowance you have to look at the worst senario and fill the form in accordingly, thats what I did before I had heard of DART and it seemed to work as mum got full aa from the offset.

jan

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
I applied for this for Mum a few years ago. I got in touch with our local carer's federation and one of their workers came out and spent the morning filling the forms out for us. She talked to both me and Mum and asked us to describe 'the worst scenario' for each question. I was left with a sheet to fill out myself for which I used the main questionnaire as a source of reference. Mum was awarded the higher allowance within 4 days complete with backdated amount. There could have been no time even to refer to our GP. Mum was diagnosed with Parkinson's at the time not Lewy Body as she is now but was certainly more 'with it' I suspect than a lot of people who are cared for on this site. Hope this helps

Geraldine

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Good luck Norm, I didn't have a problem getting it for Mum and it looks like you have plenty of good advice here. Love She. XX

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Baraff
this was a claim for the higher allowance,already got the lower.
I sent an EPA and an A4 as you say.
Would't mind a copy of you letter
all the best
Norman

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Baraff
this was a claim for the higher allowance,already got the lower.
I sent an EPA and an A4 as you say.
Would't mind a copy of your letter
all the best
Norman

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Norman, I applied, and received, full mobility allowance for Lionel about 18 months ago. Had quite a struggle to get personal allowance, refused twice, but I kept appealing.

Circumstances have changed over the past 6 months, and as Lionel was receiving middle care allowance, I have applied to have this re-assessed because of night care needed.

Have just received forms, will tackle them over the weekend, but it was the comment in the accompaning letter which made me cross."WHEN WE LOOK AT THE DECISION MADE IN YOUR CLAIM, WE MAY LOOK AT THE WHOLE DECISION AND NOT JUST THE PART YOU HAVE ASKED US TO LOOK AT2

I do hope I shall not be in for another battle.
Any suggestions anyone. Love Connie

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear Norman

Sent you a copy of my letter by PM.

Two in fact as the letter was too long for one message and it kept telling me to shorten it. So I have sent it in two halves.

Hope you can decypher it.

Cheers Barraf

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Connie,

The part that made me the most cross was the bit about the possibility of having the allowance cancelled completely after the review.

Jude

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet