Attendance Allowance

maggier

Jan 9, 2006
manchester
We have made a claim for Attendance allowance for mum, and have had a visit from someone from DWP making me appointee for mums benefits. (mum has no savings, just her pension and small amount in pension credit) and hopefully she will get £40 in attendance allowance. She has a carer who comes in at lunch times only. Can anyone tell me how this will be paid for? Does the attendance allowance cover this cost, do we have to pay it directly to Social Services or the agency who is to cover now the intermerdiary care is up (which lasted for 6 weeks.) Or does the money get taken from source, so consequently mum will not actually "see" any of the attendance allowance.

Also the chap who came from DWP (dept of work and pensions) said that because mum gets pension credit, she should also be entitled to a further £40 added to the pension credit, which kicks in once attendance allowance starts. Again, does this mean she will actually be better off with extra cash in her purse, or is it ,again, something which she will get in one hand and pay out again with the other.

Sorry for rambling on a bit but if anyone understands what I am saying, please could you advise.

Cheers

Maggie x x :confused:

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Hi

Attendance allowance gets paid with the pension , straight to the bank or post office as one amount, then its up to you how you use it. When we has SS carers the County Council sent a bill every month. Now we have a private lady so I just pay out the money to her.

maggier

Jan 9, 2006
manchester
Thanks for your speedy response.

How much roughly are we talking about to SS for one visit per day, does it vary from local authority to local authority?

Thanks

Maggie xx

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
there is a maximum with ours of about £40.00 per week to pay. When i have time I,ll look out an old bill. Have to go now as am visiting the unit where sister is going for first respite.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Maggie
check with social services,they will have a fairer charging team who will send out a fairer charging advisor.
They will check Mum's income and make an assessment on that, of how much payment will be ,which could be zero.!!
You should receive a written statement.
Hope this helps
Norman

richardjb

Feb 5, 2006
surrey
Cost of care and SS

Hi Magie, richard here. i am not entirely sure how you pay for care under social services but i do know a few tricks arround getting some support for mom and yourself, first off the care service provided should be used to best suit you and mom, not them, when funds are limited, i find using qualified people to help in a limited but trained function is best. like bath time and when equipment is used. other charity organisations like meals on wheels and help the aged can take care of the shopping trips and meals. local advice service will also give good info on whats around in your area for companion visits, free of charge, just a cup of tea...

good luck, richard

patriciacolliso

Nov 23, 2005
london
hello pammy14. i have read your message on talking point about people getting their attendance allowance together with their pension. that is NOT so. my husband gets his pension and pension credit on its own. then gets his attendance allowance paid on its own every 4 weeks. take care. patricia.

janew

Mar 28, 2005
Dear Patricia,

I have just read your post and for my mum, her pension is paid into my Bank Account - she does not get Pension Credit but the Attendance Allowance is paid in with the pension - weekly.

Take Care Jane

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Hi Patricia,

My sister certainly gets just one payment into her bank accounT each week which now includes the attendance allowance at higher rate. She does not get pension credit so perhaps that is why it is different.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Pension and attendance allowance are paid into the bank as separate items.

They will have the same National insurance numbers but one RP and one AA
Norman

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
Aa Pension

My husband has only one payment showing both aa and pension lumpted together on his Nationwide Account .

Cynron :confused:

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Aa

Margaret's Attendance Allowance and Pension are paid into our account weekly as a lump sum, just quoting her National Insurance number,.

As far as I am aware you pay for Social Service care depending on your financial situation, varying from nothing to a maximun of £7.50/hr.

I agree with Norman that Direct Payment is the best system as you can purchase assistance from a source of your choice.

It isn't easy to get as most areas are short of money and are reluctant to spend what they have on Direct Payments. Also the same rules apply, the amount you have to pay depends on your financial situation. However you are entitled to Direct Payments if you want them and you must stick to your guns.

Barraf