Attendance Allowance

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
My husband's condition has deteriorated considerably over the past few months, and our CPN asked during one of her visits whether he received the higher rate of Attendance Allowance. - I did not even realise that there were different rates ....

When I rang the DWP (Dept. of Work and Pensions) they sent me a new form by return, and I have just had the positive reply. However, there is a difference in the way the two rates are applied: when the lower rate is approved, it gets back-dated to the date when they receive the application. The higher rate is not granted until the applicant has been in need of 24-hour care for more than six months. :(

Just thought I'd share that with you all. Don't delay if you feel you might qualify (it is actually paid to the patient, but in most of our cases we would obviously have to apply on the patient's behalf).

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Nutty
you have made a very good point about the higher rate of AA,how it is not back dated and not paid for six months from application.
I was conned,I said that I thought Peg had needed night care for 3 months and this was seized upon and we waited anothr 3 months for payment
Norman

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Nan, thanks for highlighting this. I did not realise that the rates varied. Have just checked and Lionel is in receipt of high care, and high mobility. (More by luck than judjement ) I guess. How are you? I hope you are looking after yourself. Take care, Connie

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Norman/Nutty
Don't know whether this will help but when the CPN finally became involved in Mum's care she insisted Dad applied for attendance allowance (something I had tried to get him to do for 12 mths). This was claimed and dated November 2005 last year. Just yesterday (after a visit by an 'official' from DWP last week) he told me that the claim was allowed. I checked and it was the higher rate, back dated to the date of claim. it would appear that offices of DWP are applying the rulings differently, so it may be worth appealing against the lower award backed up by any CPN/doctors support that you can get.
PS The DWP chap was very good and also arranged for my Dad to be the advocate/receiver of monies on Mum's behalf, which I thought was a very 'human' face of an official department. Hope things work out for you both.

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
We have been in receipt of AA since August 2000 I applied on Margaret's behalf and as well as filling in the forms I wrote a letter detailing the effect that AD was having on her.

The forms seemed to me to be more orientated to physical illness rather than mental, hence the letter.

I returnd the forms to DWP on the 18th July 2000, I received a phone call at the begiining of August asking if I held Power of Attorney, and if so would I send a certified copy, this was returned in about a week and we started to receive the higher allowance on 29th August 2000.

As I have remarked before on this forum, nothing impresses officialdom like reams of paper.

Cheers
Barraf

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Logic?

Don't know who dreams up the rules, but logic certainly doesn't often come into it --- sometimes, it is hard to find enough energy to fight these battles!