1. emscub

    emscub Registered User

    Dec 5, 2003
    I am currently trying to apply again for attendance allowance as I now think we qualify for the higher rate for my Nan. This might sound a silly question but I thought if anyone would know the answer someone here would!

    Obviously most of us are having to fill out these forms on behalf of someone else, so I'd just like to know what person to write the form in? So far I am writing it as though I'm my Mum on behalf of my Nan, and I have answered each section beginning. "My Mother requires...." and by using the term "she". I then got to the end where it asks for the person who knows you best to fill in how your illness effects you, to complete a section and realised that I will simply be writing everything I've already written again (as my Mum is the person who knows my Nan best). I went back and changed it all to first person, but it simply sounds wrong as it's clear (to me anyway) that my Nan is NOT writing this.

    Any suggestions?
  2. angela.robinson

    angela.robinson Registered User

    Dec 27, 2004
    Hi Emma ,its Very Confusing ,but You Could Signe What You Have Already Done ,yourself Then Say On Behalf Of Nan,if You Have Already Signed It As Nan Then I Think You Just Add,pp Then Your Signiture,leaving Your Mum As The Person Who Knows Her Best .you Could Also Ask A Visit From Advice Beuro ,to Fill It In .make Sure You Say She Needs Help Getting To The Toilet During The Night Good Luck. Angela
  3. Sheila

    Sheila Registered User

    Oct 23, 2003
    West Sussex
    Hi Emma, fact sheet 413 is about claiming benefits, it may help you a bit. Love She. XX
  4. Sandy

    Sandy Registered User

    Mar 23, 2005
    Hi Emma,

    We recently had to fill one of these out for my father-in-law. Having never filled out this type of form before, we got some help from the GP Care Advisor from my in-law's GP surgery (I had never heard of such a position before, but apparently it is something they do in Essex - someone based at the surgery who can advise on things like benefits).

    She spent some time talking with my in-laws and myself and filled out the form on the spot. She used language like "Harry finds it difficult ..." and "He...". I filled out the section on the person who knows you best as my mother-in-law found it difficult to put her thoughts into words (don't we all!). My father-in-law was able to sign the form himself, so that simplified matters.

    Looking on the Department for Work and Pensions website, it says they can offer help : "Or someone else can fill it on for you. Ask a relative, a friend, a carer or someone like this. But you must sign the form yourself if you can, even if somone else has filled it in for you."

    Claim Form PDF file

    That sounds like either way would be fine, as long as your Nan can sign the form herself. If someone else is signing on her behalf, then it would make sense to describe the situation from that person's point of view.

    I'm sure they see all types of grammatical constructions used on these forms. You have enough on your plate without writing and re-writing forms,

    Take care,

  5. Claire

    Claire Registered User

    Mar 31, 2004
    Hi Emma

    I did just what you've done - wrote it as if my Mum was writing it, although it must have been clear to the person reading it that she had not written it herself. The I filled in the section relating to the person who knew her best. I didn't pull any punches - wrote down everything about the effects of AD - wandering, continence problems, night time disturbances etc. and she was awarded AA at the higher rate at the first application.

    I also had similar problems at night - going to bed very early, then roaming around in the middle of the night, flinging open my door and throwing things at me, or asking questions, falling down the stairs etc. All seems to be part of the whole - no sooner do you get a handle on one set of behaviour than it changes to something new.

    Take care
  6. janew

    janew Registered User

    Mar 28, 2005
    Hello Emma

    Like Claire, when I came to fill in the form I was told by a friend to put down everything that she was doing - in basic detail (even though some things did not happen everyday) as if she was telling it and this is what I did and like Claire I have received the highest attendance allowance.

    Hope it goes well for you.

    Take Care, Janew
  7. Kriss

    Kriss Registered User

    May 20, 2004
    Hi Em

    whether you fill it in as the first person or the third person the golden rule is to paint the blackest, most miserable and depressing picture possible. It hurt me badly to have to write down all the negative things that were happening but it has to be done. Keep a hanky close by!

  8. Norman

    Norman Registered User

    Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Hi Em
    make sure that you include it's every night when you have to give assistance.
    I don't think it matters in what format you fill it in,but put every detail,give the whole desperate ituation.
    Don't forget you must have needed extra help for 6 months to claim payment now.
    Good luck
  9. barraf

    barraf Registered User

    Mar 27, 2004
    Hello Em

    I filled in the form as if Margaret was doing it and then signed it with my name and EPA after my signiture.

    I then typed out a long letter detailing everything that I had to do for Margaret and everything that she was or was not doing.

    Apart for a request for a copy of the Power of Attorney (whch they duly returned) the application went straight through and we got the full allowance from the beginning.

    I have said it before on this forum, I am a big believer in the power of the written word. It certainly seems to impress the authorities dealing with any sort of benefits.

    I keep a diary on my computer and can always dredge up information as and when required.

    Cheer Barraf
  10. Geraldine

    Geraldine Registered User

    Oct 17, 2003
    Hi Em

    When we applied for AA for Mum a few years back I got in touch with the Carer's Federation and one of their field workers spent a morning with us and she filled out the form in the first person and signed to say she had completed for someone else. Every detail was included always the worst case scenario. We got the full allowance and back dated payment within a week not even time to confer with our GP I think! My Mum did get upset as we filled the form in I think it really hurt her to realise quite how much help she needed and how much work I was doing.

    Good luck

  11. Kriss

    Kriss Registered User

    May 20, 2004
    If I'm thinking of the right form I seem to recall a box to be ticked if you filled the form in for someone else but did not want them to know. You had to give a reason which for us was "Aunt would be far too upset to see the diagnosis". We never had any sort of follow up. The award came through very quickly and was backdated.

    The main difference for the higher allowance was the need for care during the night. When you list wandering, incontinence, unsteadiness etc it's pretty straightforward I think.

    Good Luck

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.