Attendance Allowance

Neet66

Mar 24, 2020
Suffolk
Hi, I applied for Attendance Allowance and was unsuccessful. My mother lives with us and even though mum may be okay for an hour on her own, I really wouldn't want to leave her for any longer, so I am unable to work. I stressed this in the form but it obviously seems that her condition is not bad enough considering that she still tends to her personal hygiene. Is it worth going back to them or is it a case of waiting for when she is worse.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@Neet66
Even though your mum my be able to do her own personal care, would she do it if not supervised. If your mum needs to be reminded to wash, clean her teeth, wash her hair or change her clothes then these are all things that qualify. When I applied for my mum a lady from the DWP came out to meet me and filled in the form, she even met me at a local cafe as mum would have kicked off if she had come to our house. There are ways of answering questions for instance, does she require help with personal care, you might answer no but reminding and supervising is giving help.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome to the forum @Neet66.

I wondered if these links would help when you re-apply. When I did them for my mum and my husband I described the worst days in my answers.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
AgeUK helped me on all forms, including AA. Not sure if they still do, but worth asking. Sometimes it’s just a case of knowing the right words!

Manhatten

Apr 7, 2020
Hi, I applied for Attendance Allowance and was unsuccessful. My mother lives with us and even though mum may be okay for an hour on her own, I really wouldn't want to leave her for any longer, so I am unable to work. I stressed this in the form but it obviously seems that her condition is not bad enough considering that she still tends to her personal hygiene. Is it worth going back to them or is it a case of waiting for when she is worse.
Hi I applied 3 times before I got attendance Allowance in the end I went to citizens advice and they helped me to fill the form out also Got alot of advice ie blue badge also claim on council tax to

Manhatten

Apr 7, 2020
Go to citi
Go to citizen advice they will help you fill the form in and also give you more information as it took me 3 times to get it

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It is very easy to downplay the help that is needed. I think we feel that we are in some way protecting the person with dementia by not being completely honest. Dont forget that there is a space at the back where you can sign for another person, so I didnt even show mum the form.
The man from DWP told me to:
a) fill in the form as if it were the worst day - not a good or even average day, but the worst
b) make sure you fill in the little box at the bottom of each question to explain and spell out the problems
c) even small things count - like having to push down on chair arms to help them get up out of the chair - so make sure you add everything
d) assume that a different person will be looking at each individual question, so dont worry about repeating yourself.

Mum got the AA