Attendance allowance

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
your choice if you apply alone for POA or jointly with someone younger,

Please read notes on the difference between 'joint' and 'joint and several' attorneys.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Note that if you were to drop dead, loose capacity, or in the case of a property and affairs LPA be declared bankrupt his son could only take over where the power was granted 'jointly and severally'.
Any power granted 'jointly' would become void and a COP application would have to be made to take any action.
My reading of your post is that this would mean 'some of the more serious decisions' would require COP approval

We are jointly and severally - just couldn't think of the correct terminology in my post to @pevensey - I think for anyone just embarking on this that Age Concern or Citizen's Advice is a good first stop anyway.

I think that sometimes I am so exhausted that I want to help people on here, but I don't always express myself as clearly as I should - so my apologies o_O:rolleyes:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Vic10 and @pevensey

these may help

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/how-to-claim

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

keep the LPAs simple ... if possible suggest 2 Attorneys to act 'jointly and severally' and a named replacement ... if only 'jointly', the 2 Attorneys must always act together, which in practical terms can be difficult
the donor needs to understand and agree at the time of signing (understand doesn't have to be every little intricacy; that they want their Attorneys to be able to help them manage their affairs, help them out)

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
Thankyou everybody, for helping me with POA and reassuring me it's not as difficult as I thought. I've got an appointment with Age Concern end of June, to see a solicitor, its 3/4 hour free so he explains it all and what's involved and fees I suppose. Keeping my fingers crossed it all goes well, wont take OH till its nessecery.

Utrinque

Sep 24, 2020
I have just finished drafting the Attendance Allowance application form on behalf of my Dad, for whom I hold power of attorney. Think of filling out this form as a marathon, not a sprint. If you have an up-to-date Adobe Acrobat Reader (a PDF reader) on your computer, you can fill out the form, save it and keep coming back to it until you have completed it to your satisfaction.

I was previously in a job which requires a lot of writing of factual reports and statements, which I think helped. You must be very objective and remember not to miss out any detail. For example, if you have to check that the PWD's clothing is clean after a meal, that counts as help with 'looking after my appearance'. What you might consider to be trivial and not worthy of comment, can in fact be very pertinent. The occasions that the PWD needs help can soon mount up. Make sure you read lots of advice on filling out the form, more so the narrative content than the box ticking stuff. You can find lots of good advice on this site and on Age UK etc. If you need practical help with completing the form, seek help from, for example, an Age UK or Citizens Advice advisor, who can assist you.

Dad does not know I have applied, but if he is successful, I will follow canary's excellent advice here and tell him that it is a benefit that the government gives to people of his age (which is not really a lie).

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Utrinque
a warm welcome to DTP

I hope you soon hear back re the Attendance Allowance ... no doubt you are aware that once that is obtained, his Local Authority can be contacted to apply for a disregard of Council Tax, 100% if he lives alone

just to let you know that this thread is from 2019 ... you can check the date of each post in the text box top left

Aquamoon

May 4, 2017
@Shedrech .Does the 100% reduction in Council tax apply to Scotland?My mum has the higher rate of attendance allowance and gets 10% reduction in Council tax for single occupancy

Utrinque

Sep 24, 2020
Hi Shedrech

Thank you for your welcome and advice.

Thanks, I realized it was an older thread, but having read it, I decided to tag on my recent AA application experience. Hopefully someone searching for advice with their own application form may find it of help.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i phone the dementia helpline and they put in touch with someone you phoned me and filled the form out with me over the phone and sent the forms to sign. theres a certfiicator to sign person[donor] has the capacity to sign and you are not forcing them into it, the attorney and a recovery attorney who will make decisions if the attorney cant.they phone when you have had everything signed to make sure its done properly and then you send it off to office of guardians to register it. if you get benefits such as housing or pension credit then the fee of £82 per poa is waived and you dont need to pay anything so i didnt pay for any of it