Attendance Allowance

Beachgirl

Mar 19, 2017
I would be very grateful to have some advice from anyone who has experience with Attendance Allowance claims. 3 years ago I did the paperwork to claim AA for both my parents as they started having home carers from an agency. Both of them were given AA at the lower rate.

My parents moved into a Care Home a few months ago so I filled out the paperwork to see if they would now qualify for AA at the higher rate. They have different medical needs, Mum has dementia, but they both need a similar sort of help at night.

Dad's application was accepted almost by return with no problem. I've been chasing Mum's application for weeks, apparently there was a backlog. Today a letter has finally arrived rejecting her application because she is not requiring enough help at night to qualify.

If that is the case fair enough. But what is mystifying me is that the wording I used to explain their needs at night is identical. So why does one qualify and not the other? I am wondering if I should submit an appeal for Mum on these grounds but I'm concerned that could have the effect of making things worse and get Dad's AA put back down to the lower rate?

Many thanks.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Appeal but dont mention that your Dad was successful.. Just ask them to reconsider and state your grounds for Mum more forcefully.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Ask to look at the night shift carer logs for your Mum, you may be able to get evidence to support your claim.
Even if they just look in to check on her at regular intervals this could be used.

spbeagle

Oct 20, 2016
It is definitely worth asking for the decision to be reviewed as it might be a case of someone not understanding the needs of someone with dementia.
My first application was turned down so I asked for it to be reviewed. My grounds were that Mum was disoriented with regard to place and would sometimes not recognise her home from the outside or inside. This was happening at night as well as during the day so it was not safe for her to be left alone. She was then awarded the higher rate as she needed supervising right through the day and night to prevent substantial danger to herself or others and someone to be available to watch over her at night often or once for up to around 20 minutes, to prevent danger to herself or others.

JMA11

Feb 11, 2017
Our admiral nurse that is attached to local social services filled out the form for our mum and she has been granted the higher rate. The admiral nurse has provided my brother and myself with so much support and help.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Plisnit

Feb 1, 2017
It's definitely worth appealing the decision. Your mum and dad's applications are completely separate so there should be no effect in your dads. The fact that your mum needs full time care alone should be enough grounds for higher rate.
Check to see if any organisations can help with the appeal. In the CAB I work in we have a special team who just deal with AA and PIP as the forms are so long and drawn out.

Beachgirl

Mar 19, 2017
Thank you so much for all your comments, very helpful. I shall put in an appeal and I'll let you know how I get on.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan