Attendance allowance query

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
The person with dementia can claim ‘attendance allowance’ regardless of any income. A carer can claim Carers allowance but income is taken into account I.e as you say if the carer has an income of more than 123 they can’t claim. Your explanation is so much better than mine! Thanks
The carers allowance can be back dated up to 3 months

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
The carers allowance can be back dated up to 3 months

That’s good news! I haven’t applied for my mother yet I’m waiting for a letter from her psychiatrist which will hopefully make it easier. I can’t claim in my own right because my income exceeds 123 pound a week. I think this is so wrong because I’m using my own money to subsidise my mothers care!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think the important bit is

You can confirm that a copy of your lasting power of attorney (LPA) is genuine by ‘certifying’ it if you’re still able to make your own decisions.

my bold

If the person who the POA refers to (ie the person with dementia) still has capacity, then yes, they can do this, but usually we start using the POA because they have lost capacity.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
hi has anyone experience of
Claiming attendance allowance for LO when they don’t need help with personal care, but do need help to take meds and deal with money and bills?

Hello Jilly!

I was advised to claim Attendance Allowance for dad the day he was diagnosed with Alzheimers. You will then be able to claim Carers Allowance and other benefits as well. Once your LO receives Attendance Allowance you should go to Citizen's Advice or contact your local dementia friends or surgery for further advice on other benefits.

MaNaAk

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
hi has anyone experience of
Claiming attendance allowance for LO when they don’t need help with personal care, but do need help to take meds and deal with money and bills?

Yes needs assessment form filled in by age concern uk the first time, very helpful advocates

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo