Attendance Allowance form

MaddieJ

Sep 1, 2017
Having been given and told to complete and return this huge form I have a question and wonder if anyone can help. I have LPA for my OH both finance and health and welfare and am completing the form for him.
QUESTION: Should I complete it in the first person as if he was completing it or should I answer the question referring to my OH?
He can sign his name but I am not sure which is the correct way. Does this sound trivial?? Am I reading too much into this and worrying too much? I think, when in this sort of situation, every little thing seems like a mountain. Also having the time to do such things whilst caring, attending to questions and needs of OH constantly and feeling tired and a bit depressed is hard. I have been trying to get this form finished for weeks.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I would get someone from Age UK or similar to do it. If I had done it myself I would have glossed over our situation. In fact we got the higher level first time. It is one of those things you need to know the trigger words for.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
In my region, NI, you can complete the form, but must tell it as the concerned person, and have them sign it if they can. There was a note with the form about this.

MaddieJ

Sep 1, 2017
I would get someone from Age UK or similar to do it. If I had done it myself I would have glossed over our situation. In fact we got the higher level first time. It is one of those things you need to know the trigger words for.
Thanks
I guess I know I should and dont know why i haven't. I keep thinking it is all too much even asking for help. I will though after christmas.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Having been given and told to complete and return this huge form I have a question and wonder if anyone can help. I have LPA for my OH both finance and health and welfare and am completing the form for him.
QUESTION: Should I complete it in the first person as if he was completing it or should I answer the question referring to my OH?
He can sign his name but I am not sure which is the correct way. Does this sound trivial?? Am I reading too much into this and worrying too much? I think, when in this sort of situation, every little thing seems like a mountain. Also having the time to do such things whilst caring, attending to questions and needs of OH constantly and feeling tired and a bit depressed is hard. I have been trying to get this form finished for weeks.

I have filled these forms in dozens of times for different people. It is the silliest form known to man.
The first time I sat down with a cup of coffee thinking I would do it in a few minutes - but, no, it takes quite a while, so make some sandwiches as well!

Actually, once you get into the rhythm of it, it is not as bad as it looks.

The trick is to fill it in as though you are the person concerned, and make it a 'worse case' scenario, paint it as black as you can.

I filled it in for my foster son who had cerebral palsy, and one of the questions was " What help do you need getting out of bed" and I replied with " I would stop in bed all day if my Mum did not get me up because I simply cannot get out by myself!"

If you cannot face it, there are people who can help - as marionq says.

But the biggest thing, is, as I said - make it a worse case scenario for everything.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.....

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I completed the form recently, without assistance. I wrote in the third person - referring to Mum - as I was completing the form, not her. There is a box at the end for you to sign to confirm that you have completed the form on someone's behalf so your husband does not need to sign it.

As mentioned above, you need to ensure that you provide details with regards to how someone is at their worst rather than 'gloss over' things. As an aside, I spoke with the DWP last week and they advised that there is currently a 12 week wait time for assessment of AA claims so try not to delay completing/submitting it. It's difficult to find the time when you are caring but although the form is lengthy it's not as bad as it seems once you start going through it. If you feel that you need help completing it then as above, Age UK can help.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
You can complete it in the first person, as if it was your OH answering, then there is a section where you sign as LPA. There is also a page where you can add any explanatory notes if you wish. I agree it is daunting to fill in, I was lucky that the manager of my mother's care home filled in the 'care' sections as she knows exactly what my mother's daily needs are.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I got Age UK to do ours and we got the higher level as well which I wasn’t expecting, the person knew exactly what to put whereas when I’d read it I was unsure, it took the stress out of more officialdom

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I filled it in in the first person and OH signed it, but if he hadn't been able to, I would have written down somewhere that I helped fill it in.

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
I'd agree with others who suggest taking it to Age UK to help you fill it in. The sooner you register it the better so maybe even try and fit it in before Christmas if you can. I'm just about to do the same for my mum and I'm going to get it sorted ASAP.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I'd agree with others who suggest taking it to Age UK to help you fill it in. The sooner you register it the better so maybe even try and fit it in before Christmas if you can. I'm just about to do the same for my mum and I'm going to get it sorted ASAP.
Also the person at Age UK will have helped many people and will know how to fiĺl in the forms.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The sooner you register it the better so maybe even try and fit it in before Christmas if you can.
If you get the form by post the application is dated the date they sent it (there is a limit of x weeks)
this does not apply for downloaded form.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
As an update, I've just this minute received a letter from DWP to advise that Mum has been awarded the higher rate. I submitted the downloaded claim form on 20th October.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I would advise getting help,the CAB were brilliant and mum was awarded the higher payment,they knew what was required to answer the questions in the right way

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I too asked Age UK. I myself would have down played it, Carers often become stoic for their survival. We received the full amount for my husband. It is a free service.