Attendance Allowance for my dad

Just Jane

Jun 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have been told to put in for Attendance Allowance for my dad, i have been told it can take 2 weeks for the form to get to the house, can anyone here share with me, any tips or there story of getting attendance Allowance for someone with Dementia.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Just Jane
you can use the online facility
fill it in describing your dad and the care he needs on his worst day ... give examples and don't worry if something needs to be mentioned in more than one section
i used the 'anything else' page to give a bullet point breakdown of my dad's day with every bit of support he needed ... it was tough to read it all back but proved to me that really I could have applied months earlier
the support line may be able to help you

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Just before the original lockdown, the nurse from the Dementia Clinic came to the house and filled in Mum's claim. It took a while to be paid but the money was back dated.
Once Attendance Allowance has been granted, contact your local council as your Dad could be entitled to a reduction in council tax. If your wages are low enough, this is when you should think about claiming carers allowance and remember, the 35 hours a week caring that you need to do, includes remote help (laundry, shopping etc.) as well as hands on care.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can order the form, spend the time before it arrives fine tuning your input on a downloaded copy with help from CAB etc and when the form arrives fill it in and post it.

The claim will be backdated to the date you requested the form, with a maximum of 6 weeks.

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
It's quite an intimidating form - I printed mine off, it's about 30-odd pages ?

Does your dad have someone regularly visit him, like a mental health nurse or someone from the memory service? The district mental health nurse filled in the "statement from someone who knows you" bit on my form. It says that that part doesn't have to be filled in, but I think it probably helps if someone in "authority" has filled it in.

It does take quite a while to process; mine got delayed for months, in part due to lockdown, but it got backdated to the original claim date, so mum got paid nearly £800... which was nice ?

Utrinque

Sep 24, 2020
Hi Just Jane

I recently applied for AA for my Dad and I received the decision notice two weeks later (which seems remarkably fast) telling me he had been awarded AA at the higher rate.

I used the online PDF form, which I was able to fill out in small increments and save each time. It took me several weeks to complete the form to my own satisfaction. I could probably have done it much quicker, but I think it is less emotionally stressful and mentally demanding to do it gradually. I found it especially helpful to go back to the form and reread my answers and evidence, from a more objective point of view, making changes where necessary.

The DWP decision maker will judge your application according to some pretty narrow criteria, so it helps to include as much detail as possible regarding the ‘bodily functions’ care or ‘supervision’ or ‘watching over’ that your Dad requires. Do lots of internet research. I even read the DWP Decision Maker’s guide:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...loads/attachment_data/file/658374/dmgch61.pdf

I found this very helpful in deciding what aspects of my Dad’s care and supervision I needed to concentrate on and detail in the form. It’s no good detailing, for example, how much gardening or food shopping you do for the PWD, because these are irrelevant for the purposes of AA. On the other hand, things that may seem very trivial, such as guiding the PWD to the loo or adjusting their clothing throughout the day, are matters of ‘bodily functions’ care and are therefore very relevant to AA.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I photocopied the form and spent a few days writing on the p/c form before submitting the application.
Take the time, because it's amazing how much pops into your mind, when you really think about it, how much help/care your dad needs.
I applied for my mum and was doubly delighted when she was approved for day AND night allowance, we hadn't expected that, but in hindsight we feel that HMG (or whoever awards this benefit) understood our situation.
Don't be intimidated, just get stuck in x

Butterflyeffect

Nov 28, 2020
Hi,

Can the attendance allowance be applied for when a spouse moves into a care home? My dad has been caring for my mum, but the time has come for her to finally move into a nursing home. My sister (still) hasn’t completed the forms yet, but I believe my dad will be owed the allowance for the care he has provided.

Does it stop when the person moves into a nursing home?
Many thanks.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
If the PWD is self funded in the care home then attendance allowance is still paid, FIL did not get his until he went in even though we could have applied months before.
If they are funded by SS or NHS then they do not get it.
The AA will be paid to your mum as she will be the one granted it to help towards her care, your Dad might have been able to claim Carer's Allowance prior to her going Into care but not when she is cared for by others.
Hope this helps