Attendance Allowance - back dated?

stuart642

Jun 23, 2015
Hi

Thanks to a suggestion on this forum I have claimed AA for my Uncle - the date of the claim was 8/7/2015. However my Uncle has been in a care home since end August last year and as we had no idea what assets he had the Council have been funding. Following my appointment by the COP as Deputy we have established that his assets are well in excess of the limits and that he should have been self funding from the start.

My question is this: If this is the case that he should have been self funding ( and I imagine the Council will be charging him back to September 2014 ) can the AA be backdated? The DWP are saying no as they cannot pay prior to the claim date.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Stu

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Hi

Thanks to a suggestion on this forum I have claimed AA for my Uncle - the date of the claim was 8/7/2015. However my Uncle has been in a care home since end August last year and as we had no idea what assets he had the Council have been funding. Following my appointment by the COP as Deputy we have established that his assets are well in excess of the limits and that he should have been self funding from the start.

My question is this: If this is the case that he should have been self funding ( and I imagine the Council will be charging him back to September 2014 ) can the AA be backdated? The DWP are saying no as they cannot pay prior to the claim date.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Stu

My OH's was backdated for date of claim. CAB will be able to advise you beyond that. Good Luck.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I think anything to do with DWP is dependent on the date of the claim which is why even if you don't have all the info necessary at hand advisors always seem to say just get the claim in as quickly as possible because that is when it starts and not prior, so I think you may not get it.:(

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I am reasonably sure this cannot be backdated. Also, any money can only be paid six months from when the need first occured, unless someone is terminally ill.