1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

Attendance Allowance and extra Pension Credit

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Rambling Sid, May 2, 2018.

1. Rambling Sid

Rambling Sid Registered User

Mar 7, 2018
    I am becoming a bit confused.

When the DWP visiting officer came to my home to deal with appointeeship for my mother's benefits, she gave me a claim form for Attendance Allowance (which has now been granted to my mother) and said that she would also qualify for extra Pension Credit. She didn't give me a form but said it would be automatically linked with the AA.

She is already in receipt of pension credit, housing benefit, and now the lower amount of AA. Is there really an extra pension credit that is linked to AA?

2. Carmar

Carmar Registered User

Feb 2, 2016
    Female
    Hampshire
    Yes @Rambling Sid, there is an extra pension credit that is linked to AA. My Mum received this until she went in to residential care. She was on the higher level AA eventually and the Pension Credit went up again when her AA went up. I'm sorry I can't tell you how much as I can't remember but I'm sure someone else on here will be able to. You can always phone the Department for Work and Pensions as they will be able to tell you the exact amount.

3. Rambling Sid

Rambling Sid Registered User

Mar 7, 2018

I've contacted DWP and a claim form is being sent out to me.

I am new to the world of DWP and what is available. No wonder so many benefits go unclaimed - how can older people possibly navigate this system? I pity the ones with no family to help them.

4. Carmar

Carmar Registered User

Feb 2, 2016
    Female
    Hampshire
    I quite agree with you @Rambling Sid, benefits are a complete minefield. The woman from the DWP was right about the higher rate pension credit being linked automatically to the Attendance Allowance. It should be paid automatically with the normal pension without having to apply for it. Consequently, I am not sure why they are sending you out a form when AA has already been granted, unless they have the wrong end of the stick. Or unless the rules have changed since I arranged this all for my Mum 2 years ago, which is possible I suppose! I hope it's resolved quickly as the money should make a difference for your Mum.

5. Scriv

Scriv Registered User

Feb 2, 2018
    I have always found the Attendance Allowance Helpline on 0800 731 0122 very helpful with any queries such as this. Hope you get it sorted out.