At what point do you withdraw medication?

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
After my last rant, dad seems to be deteriorating day by day. His food intake is getting less and less, drinking fluids less and taken to sleeping/laying down on the floor instead of his bed. He's sleeping quite a lot during the day and not at all of a night. His chest infection seems to have cleared but the not sleeping of a night is just taking its toll. He is hallucinating and I'm not sure if the meds are just now making him feel worse. Any suggestions please .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You can only ask your dad`s doctor`s advice.

There may come a time when medication is ineffective but I don’t think it`s our decision to withdraw it without consultation with a medic.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It was a consultant who finally withdrew OHs dementia medication. By then, there were very few MMSE questions he could answer, his walking and speech were poor, urinary incontinent, not eating very much. Sleeping a lot and had had a week of lots of TIAs ( he had mixed dementia). He died 3 months later, though I think that didn't have anything to do with withdrawal of meds. More just old age and giving up and the final chest infection.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
You definitely must not withdraw any medication without consulting your Dad's GP.

My mother developed issues (there's an understatement!) with taking her tablets.
Her GP removed medication ....Statins, calcium for osteoporosis, Aspirin....

When she couldn't have vital heart surgery and was fast tracked back to her home on CHC, her Consultant withdrew all medication, heart and blood pressure meds.

For the short time she had left she was happy to be tablet free.

But you MUST seek advice, tell the GP your worries.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I was at a presentation last week which showed a real benefit in respect of being able to remain at home rather than needing residential care when the Alzheimers meds were continued for moderate/ severe sufferers.
I would only with draw meds on the consultant's advice.
Tre

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
Thank you friends, will speak to docs tomorrow now and see what they suggest, maybe there might be something they can suggest for the hallucinations more than anything

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Hope there is some way your Dad can have peace, whatever it takes.
It's no less than I would want for myself.
Best wishes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti