At the Eleventh Hour

Pusskins

Jun 6, 2020
New Zealand
At the eleventh hour, I have finally been offered in home respite care from Alzheimer's NZ and I now also have home help twice a week. Now I feel like I should give it a go with these help lines offered. I wish I'd had them sooner as I might not have become so distressed. In the links kareokePete posted, there was information which made it clear to me why MH became aggressive. I think I just handled the situation incorrectly. We are still going to look the rest home over and I am still aiming for a week's respite which may become permanent. Have had some success with washing and shaving recently. The home help is going to be awesome. I couldn't get MH to lift his trouser legs so I could apply fatty cream, but she managed to coax him to oblige. I think she has the magic touch so we might win with the showering situation. She will be coming twice a week and in home repite care will be for a few hours once a week. This will make a huge difference as I have basically been 'locked in' for 12 months.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That is wonderful news @Pusskins . I agree - cares/home helps do indeed have the magic touch. I started off with carers coming in twice a week, but they now come each week day as it made so much difference. Do you have the option of increasing the number of times that she comes too?

Do continue to check the care home as a back-up plan B and please dont cancel the help if there are problems - get them resolved instead. You really, really do need help.

Pusskins

Jun 6, 2020
New Zealand
Thank you, @canary for your positive response. Yes, I'm fairly sure I would be able to increase the number of weekly visits. Just to have somebody coming in to break the monotony is a huge plus!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976