At the care home

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I went as usual to visit Jan today and several things struck me as noteworthy.

Those who have read my previous posts about Jan's home will appreciate that I believe it is a very good one.

So, while these following things are noteworthy, they were only sometimes mildly surprising...

I visited just before lunch.

The cook came in with some of the standard lunch processed for the two ladies who are on pureed food. One of the care assistants picked up the plate ready to feed one of the ladies, and with the spoon, began to mix the food together [it had been presented separately in a dish].

The cook said "no, no, no ,no you mustn't do that. Give them the different parts separately, not mixed up. When the food is kept separate, they get the appreciation of the different tastes."

The cook then apologised, saying "I forgot to chalk up the lunch menu on the blackboard outside the kitchen today". Such attention to detail.

The lunch, by the way, was roast beef, Yorkshire Pudding and a load of different fresh vegetables.

As I went to leave I spotted the TP flyer on the table next to the visitor's book:

sign in.jpg

Then my eye happened upon a notice on the board:

my name is.jpg

All this is indicative of a home that is doing a fine job.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thank you. I am not looking into permanent care homes yet but it is good to know these things. I did not realise there was a TP flyer. I have learnt something new today.

You must indeed be sleeping easy knowing that Jan is in such a caring environment. If it comes to it I do hope I can find the same for my husband.

Jan

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
but it is good to know these things

Like BeckyJan I'm not looking into homes for Eric-but this is a good example of what those who are should be looking out for. And if they're already in the position of having loved ones in care maybe will help to instigate something similar?
Thanks Bruce..it's good to hear that Jan is being well looked after :)

Love Gigi xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
I love the idea of the food being pureed separately. They used to that at the care home for Lionel

We now have to mix Lionels altogether as he would refuse all the vegetables otherwise, he would just spit them out at you.

We smile sometimes as only we know that he is eating brussel sprouts, broccoli, and swede all mixed together with his roast chicken and stuffing. Yes that is what he ate today and thoroughly enjoyed.

The vitamins and minerals he obtains from his food are certainly doing him good. It is however nice to know that there are still people who care enough to want to give residents a 'choice'.

dolly gee

Mar 9, 2007
merseyside
I went as usual to visit Jan today and several things struck me as noteworthy.

Those who have read my previous posts about Jan's home will appreciate that I believe it is a very good one.

So, while these following things are noteworthy, they were only sometimes mildly surprising...

I visited just before lunch.

The cook came in with some of the standard lunch processed for the two ladies who are on pureed food. One of the care assistants picked up the plate ready to feed one of the ladies, and with the spoon, began to mix the food together [it had been presented separately in a dish].

The cook said "no, no, no ,no you mustn't do that. Give them the different parts separately, not mixed up. When the food is kept separate, they get the appreciation of the different tastes."

The cook then apologised, saying "I forgot to chalk up the lunch menu on the blackboard outside the kitchen today". Such attention to detail.

The lunch, by the way, was roast beef, Yorkshire Pudding and a load of different fresh vegetables.

As I went to leave I spotted the TP flyer on the table next to the visitor's book:

View attachment 2301

Then my eye happened upon a notice on the board:

View attachment 2302

All this is indicative of a home that is doing a fine job.

well bruce what can i say i work for Bupa homes for dementia residents cannot compare to to the home you have mentioned wonderful, hope you dont mind i have printed your message for my colleages [any vacencies?].glad that Jan is treated well goodluck Dolly gee

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger