At peace

mumofthree

Apr 11, 2011
Lancashire
My Dad died peacefully in his sleep at 3.45am today. Almost exactly a week since we began end of life care (I got a call from the hospital last Monday morning to go in at 3.30am to agree to end treatment). It's been a very long week and right now I feel completely drained and exhausted, but relieved. I feel content I did all I could to make his last days as positive as they could be, by being back at his care home, with his dog and familiar people. I feel sure there were at least times he knew we were there and responded, as much as he was able, to let me know he could hear us.

I am thankful our journey with dementia has been short, and am grateful to the advice offered here during the last few months.

Take care xx

holiday

Apr 29, 2011
Norfolk
Sorry to hear about your sad loss but take comfort in the fact that he is free from this cruel illness and died surrounded by those that loved him xxx

together

May 25, 2010
Derbyshire
Thoughts are with you at this sad time. Don't forget TP is here afterwards too for you. Take care of yourself, Katherine xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I'm very sorry for your loss, mumofthree. You gave your dad the best end possible. Now take care of yourself. x

Authona

Feb 6, 2010
Northwich
Hi,

I feel for your loss and am comforted by your words that it was as much as you could do for him, you were there for him and he knew it. He didn't suffer and all your journey's were short.

Take time now, be guided by your feelings and don't try to push against what they tell you. Take the time your body and emotions tell you to take in order to work back to full life again. Don't rush. Go at your own pace and take support or not as and when your body/emotions need it. I have always found that holistic therapies help when I need comfort and support but don't really want to talk to anyone close about it all. The power of physical touch from another human being who is totally clueless to my situation, has, in the past, been very nourishing. It's a thought.

Sending you my care and thoughts ... and a big virtual long hug ... Authona x

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
Hi mumofthree, sorry to hear your sad news but pleased that it was peaceful. Take care of yourself now and don't forget we're all here to help afterwards too if you need us.

Take care and thinking of you xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your father. I am grateful for you that it was peaceful, that he was in his care home, surrounded by his loved ones.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear mumofthree, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
Good, though, that your dear father was surrounded by those who loved him.
And that all was peaceful.
Thinking of you and sending love,
Nan XXX

sanford99

Account Closed
Aug 2, 2011
It is not often we can see our losses as a blessing, but you can I think, mumofthree.....he was peaceful and comfortable at the end, he has his family and his dog and he knew he was much loved. No one can really ask for much more can they??

You are entitled to feel drained and exhausted and no doubt it will continue and there will be lots of other emotions to contend with as time goes on; just remember and focus on the peacefulness of your dear dad's passing and I hope that helps you through.

God bless you and yours.........xxxxx Big hugs.