At Last.

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
Just saw on the news that the government is looking into huge profits being made by big companies who own care homes.
It’s about time, I hope keeping up the pressure pays off, and something gets done about the disgraceful amount of money people are paying weekly for loved ones in care.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
They are businesses, the priority is the shareholder. If they don't make a profit they will move on.

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
I totally disagree, they are dealing with vulnerable people, not big business. International big time companies with offshore accounts should not be making profits out of the vulnerable.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I totally disagree, they are dealing with vulnerable people, not big business. International big time companies with offshore accounts should not be making profits out of the vulnerable.
No, they shouldn't but they do.

The problem is, there are only a very limited number of council-run care homes. The rest belong to the private sector. Unless that system changes there will always be people who see the chance to make good money from opening a care home.

I'd like to see private care homes forced to run as a non-profit business... but who would want to do that? There are some more 'charitable' homes but they're pretty thin on the ground. Changes are very much needed but I just can't see it happening.

So the result is a bunch of already rich people running homes through offshore companies and not even paying tax on the profits. Staff are paid a pittance, managers have a thankless task of trying to run the place proficiently with a lack of budget and too few staff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy