At last someone who listened

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Today was hubbys check up at the memory clinic.
We had moved to a hospital than is going to be a new center of excellance for people with Dementia,so far so good.
The Doctor we saw was lovely, talked to hubby first asked how he was and how did he feel.
She then turned to me and asked how I was and if I was coping all the time keeping one eye on hubby and how he was behaving.
When I told her I was not coping she asked if I had applied for respite I told her I was still waiting for SS to get back to me so she said she would chase them up for me.and also arrange for CPN to call me.
When it came time for us to go I asked her if she was going to do the memory test and she said we do things different here I would rather listen to what you tell me because you are with him all the time.
So as I said at last someone who is willing to listen to us carers.
Roseann

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Brilliant, Roseanne!

Wonderful to have the carer listened to, rather than just going by numbers.

And even better that she's prepared to take action.

You must be feeling so much better tonight!:)

Love,

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Oh Roseanne,

What a relief for you the visit must have been. Consultants who do 'consult' are so very valuable. Sufferers and carers are a valuable resource if only we are asked in the right way. To be honest I think it is a much more sensible way of checking on a patient than simply using memory tests as the ultimate measure of where things are currently at with the disease. I wish that all professionals we have to deal with were as understanding and good at their job as the one you have encounted today.

I would once again chase up Social Services and tell them that your Consultant has strongly recommended that you be given respite care urgently. I have used this method very successfully before. Social Workers are inclined to get their 'fingers out' and move things along if they feel that a Consultant is involved!

Very best wishes to you both.

xxTinaT

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Tina
The Doctor has a monthly meeting tomorrow with a SS manager and is going to speak to her about me so I will have to wait and see what happens, but if I have not heard anything when I come back from Scotland I will phone them my self.

Hazel
You are right I do feel better, I now feel that at last things will move on.
I do hope things are better for you and John
Love Roseann

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Roseann:

It is incredible that we should feel relieved when someone is actually doing their job properly. I am so pleased you have got a good consultant and I hope her input is going to help YOU.

Hopefully you can go off to Scotland with a glad heart and ever hopeful. I am sure you do need respite, as many of us do.

Just for my interest, how often do you see (a) the Consultant and (b) have a memory check? We have not had memory check since last Oct. (despite the downturn with David), and he has not seen consultant for about 18 mths.

Please keep us posted. Love Jan

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Hi Jan
we have been seeing the consultant every six months at the memory clinic and then every six months another consultant about hubbys depression, so he has seen someone every three months but now we are going to just one hospital it will be every six months, but in between he has to go for a review with all the people involved in his care.
This is a new thing in our area and so far I am very impressed.[except for SS of course]
All the best Roseann

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello ROSEANN

Doesn`t it make a difference when you feel the professionals are on your side. I`ve had some of that feeling too lately and it means so much.
I`m so glad you now feel supported.
Love xx

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wow ROSEANN.....

Am so impressed by that approach. It's vital that the professionals take carers on board and listen to what they have to say. Sounds like you have a good system and I'm glad that you will be getting the support you need.
Enjoy Scotland and I hope the 'help' is on the doorstep, so to speak :D, when you get back. Take care.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
That's lovely Roseann ... I'm sure none of us expect miracles - but sometimes plain 'common sense' doesn't go amiss! ;)
it's so good to hear of things going right ...:)

Love, Karen, x