At last some Alzheimer's Drugs prescribed for my Father.

capybara

Jan 10, 2007
:D It has been a huge task , but we have at last managed to get my father re-assesed and he has been prescribed Aricept. Up till now he was only ever given a Neuroleptic drug called Quetapine which is totally unsuitable. You can read about our fight for better treatment on this link below.

http://www.nhsexposed.com/patients/elderly/old-soldier-aricept.shtml

I realise that this drug may not be effective but at least he is being offered something which may improve his situation albeit for a few months.
Some of you probably have family or relatives that have been prescribed Aricept and I would be interested to hear from you.

Regards Mark:)

Attachments

• HURRAH__28330.gif
    HURRAH__28330.gif
    108.2 KB · Views: 317

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
My husband has been on Aricept for nearly three years now. He stayed on the low dose 5mg for 14 months and then increased to 10 mg as he had started to deteriorate. The initial effect (on the 5 mg) was startling he improved so much after three weeks on the medication.

Recently at the memory clinic it was noted his pulse was very slow so they withdrew the Aricept for two weeks and he did regress during that time. He is now back on 5mg and I do feel he has improved again and his pulse rate is back to normal:). He is now being monitored weekly so fingers x'd nothing changes.

I am glad you are being given the opportunity to at least try the medication. I know it doesn't work for everyone but without trying how are you to know?

I hope the positive experience we have had helps as I firmly believe it was a lifeline and gave us both more time to come to terms with the illness and to put in place EPA's etc.

Keep us posted, and glad to see the petition is going well.:)

Linda x

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Mark,

I'm very please for you dad regarding the aricept, but I also don't want to put the fear of death into everyone who has loved one prescribed with a neuroleptic. These drugs if used and monitored correctly can be very effective and reduce a lot of suffering. I know that the society take a strong stance against these drugs, but they are not always prescribed to sedate but also to balance behaviour. It is a complex area that is all, and I don't thing it is right to throw fear around.

On the other hand, I wholeheartedly believe that aricept gave my father an extra few years of independence and happiness.

Well done and good luck
Craig

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Hello, yes, we also had a good experience with Aricept. My Dad has been switched to Exelon because the consultant felt that there were more benefits with that drug for people with "psychotic" symptoms.

Like Craig, I feel that neuroleptic drugs do have their place. I don't agree with their being used in care home/hospital situations to sedate patients or make them easy to "manage".

But in our situation, Quitiapine has helped a lot. My Dad's paranoid fantasies and behaviors were completely out of control and making life unbearable...as anyone who frequents this forum and read my desperate pleas for help will know! He was also becoming very agressive towards my Mum.

We have found that the Quitiapine has helped with this. We have noticed a decline since changing all the drugs, but this could simply be because of the progession of the disease.

Part of your difficulty in getting Aricept may have been the new NICE rules which govern prescription of that drug.

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
I'm pleased for you Mark that the treatment you wanted for your Dad is now being prescribed. I hope it will be a positive move for him.

Drugs are such a tricky area. As always with Alzheimers patients or dementia patients, what is wrong for one person may be right for another. We need to take care to say "in my experience" or similar so that we can all benefit from the experiences of others. Each situation is unique and must be treated in that way.

Mark, your article (on the link) about your Dad was brimming with the love and respect you have for him! It was heartwarming to read! Thank you. Nell

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Capybarra

My Dad has taken Aricept for approx 4 years now and in the beginning it made a tremendous difference.

He didn't remember much more, but was a lot more socially interactive, not so much in a world of his own. I am convinced that without Aricept, Dad would have been much worse by now, but I don't know if it is still working.

My Mum was prescribed quietiapine, because of her agitation and hyperactivity. It helps. She is not on a high dosage 50mg morning and night. She is not on any
medication for dementia.

I think certain drugs can help allieviate some of the symtoms but need careful monitoring as do all prescibed drugs.

Alfjess

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
It didn't do my mother any good (but of course I don't know if she was taking it according to the instructions).

capybara said:
:

Some of you probably have family or relatives that have been prescribed Aricept and I would be interested to hear from you.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Nebiroth,

Just to add to my comments. Dad is also prescribed quitiapine but a very low dose. My experiences are the same as yours and we keep on top of the dosage and consult with the GP. A very complex area indeed.

Kind regards
Craig