1. 091558

091558 New member

Oct 10, 2019
    Hello
    I joined the site several weeks ago and have read through at odd times. For someone with a lot to say and able to type and use a pc, I am finding this quite difficult!
    I'll start on a lighter note; at first I wondered where the index was so that I could understand the abbreviations but after a few sessions of reading the posts, it becomes obvious. OH really threw me!
    Five years ago I noticed signs in my husband that gave me concern, eg after driving back & forth through Dartford Tunnel over the years for visits, one day he froze as we drove through and couldn't remember how to open the car window nor did he know what to do with the money I had passed him to put into the basket to lift the barrier! We laughed it off but other things came to mind that 'we had laughed' off. As time went on it became clearer that his memory problems were increasing.
    Memory tests and brain scan confirmed an Alzheimers diagnosis 3 years ago and what hard work that was to actually get him to go in the first place. Denial followed and continues.
    I don't want to rattle on too much in my first post but nothing prepared me as to how much my life would change. I love my husband and after 51 years of marriage, 2 children and 3 g-children, I knew I would always care for him but I never knew I would have to give up so much to do so. I am still coming to terms with that aspect.
    Yes, I do feel sorry for myself on the odd occasion but I feel entitled to and realise, that's life!
    Bye for now,
    (Yes, my Mum's old Co-op Number).
    PS: Life did get slightly easier when my 97 year old strong-willed Mum accepted sheltered housing last year!

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
  3. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Welcome to Dementia Talking Point, @091558. I'm pleased you have found us and settled in. We live in extra care housing, and it does take a lot of strain away, so your mum will feel the benefit of that move.
    There's plenty of good support and helpful advice here, so I hope you will continue to read and to post more about your situation or ask questions any time you need to. Memory cafes are great places to find support over a cup of coffee, so if you have not already found one or seen the link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you will take you to your nearest one as well as any other local support you need.
    All the best, NS