At last, a pilot scheme giving relatives ‘key worker’ status

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
It’s only taken the Department of Health and Social Care 7 months, but hopefully this may lead to families reconnecting with their loved ones in care homes!

Bunty2410

Apr 28, 2020
It’s only taken the Department of Health and Social Care 7 months, but hopefully this may lead to families reconnecting with their loved ones in care homes!
??

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Let's hope so @Chaplin @MaNaAk @Bunty2410 , tho I am not so sure what Helen Whately means when she says that the pilot will be starting "very soon" as Matt Hancock spoke of testing family members back in July as being the way forward..... and it still hasn't happened. The Government needs to test family members and provide ppe so we can be as safe as care home staff to visit. They need to provide indemnity insurance too, as they do for hospitals, or many care homes will still be too scared to allow indoor visits.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Let's hope so @Chaplin @MaNaAk @Bunty2410 , tho I am not so sure what Helen Whately means when she says that the pilot will be starting "very soon" as Matt Hancock spoke of testing family members back in July as being the way forward..... and it still hasn't happened. The Government needs to test family members and provide ppe so we can be as safe as care home staff to visit. They need to provide indemnity insurance too, as they do for hospitals, or many care homes will still be too scared to allow indoo
@anxious annie I personally don’t believe a word she says, she didn’t reply to any comments on her Facebook page from rights for residents, in fact she deleted the whole of the first post we all posted our comments on. It’s just another stalling tactic by her. I am really giving up hope of us all being able to see our loved ones properly?

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Yes, I know what you mean @Baker17 , I'm getting very disheartened, keep sending emails and getting no replies, or just the standard "keeping residents safe" . I think Helen Whately will just drag this out, but the general public will believe that all is now well.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Yes, I know what you mean @Baker17 , I'm getting very disheartened, keep sending emails and getting no replies, or just the standard "keeping residents safe" . I think Helen Whately will just drag this out, but the general public will believe that all is now well.
@anxious annie only the other somebody said to me, I thought it was all sorted in July and you could visit now. The general public have no idea the stress and heartache we are all going through, in fact they never will unless they are faced with same situation.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Helen Whately said that it is up to individual care homes to decide if they will follow this suggestion - many have already said they will not allow visitors as the Covid test is only valid for the day it was taken. So unless homes can administer tests that give instant results, there is no guarantee that a visitor is Covid free.

I was disappointed to read the comments made by care home managers to this suggestion.

Bunty2410

Apr 28, 2020
Where has the humanity and compassion gone in our society? Our society is becoming very cruel

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
That is really disappointing to hear @Lynmax , as I can't see instant testing happening for a long time. I can't understand how home managers can say this if they are ok with staff having weekly tests, their logic seems flawed.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
This 'open letter' from Infection Prevention & Control (IPC) experts published today might be helpful with regards the campaign for family members to be allowed to visit their loved ones. The experts state "If a care worker can touch a resident safely, so can a family member if they wear and follow the right IPC procedures"

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/s...open-letter-on-care-home-visiting-16-10-2020/

Thanks @Louise7 -this is something I have been saying for months and argued for. It may mean that visitors need some basic training in hand washing technique and the donning of PPE.

cumbria35

Apr 24, 2017
May be too late for some people if it takes as long again.

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
Hi folks just read this, feel so upset that people are still being denied access to their loved ones . Although my OH is still at home I like most of the country am being denied access to my loved ones as well. It’s heartbreaking but I can understand the reason why. Our people with Dementia can’t so how must they be feeling? Big hugs for all you folks having to put up with this situation. It really needs sorting soon as already said for some people it may be to late ?

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
The other week there was an article in the daily express about the difficulties in being able see our loved ones. There was an e mail address, so I e mailed the reporter, Giles. Today I had a call from him and he interviewed me about my experience of the difficulties. He is doing an article which is to be published in tomorrow’s paper. He was lovely and said they are totally behind us in our quest to enable meaningful visits.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix77