• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

At home alone & mum in full time work


New member
Mar 30, 2020
My dad is under investigation for early onset dementia. He hallucinates and hears people in the house. Today he heard people in the house and phoned my mum who works 9-5. He was petrified and refused to go back into the house (so he was stuck in the back garden). Luckily I’m off work at the moment and I was able to go over and see to him. However, when I go back to work, what are we meant to do when he wanders off during the day, or phones the police, or is petrified that people are in the house? Any suggests of advice would be much appreciated!


Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Hi @kly95

Normally I’d suggest finding suitable daycare for your dad but Covid-19 has changed all that. I think your best bet is to give Adult Social Care a call and get his name down for a place when they eventually re-open. Im not sure what’s available at the moment but hopefully things will be opening up again soon.

It would be a good idea to inform the police that your dad is a vulnerable adult at risk of wandering. If his name’s on their vulnerable people list they can get him home even if he can’t remember where he lives.

Let his GP know about the hallucinations and how scared he is by them maybe they can give him something to help. Is there anything that could be causing your dad to believe people are In the house? TV or radio are common culprits.


New member
Mar 30, 2020
Thanks for your reply. The police are aware of his vulnerability. I will contact dr and adult social care and see what they can suggest/offer.
He does have the tv or radio on in the day but these voices he hears often occur at night when there are no sounds. I think it’s just whatever is going on in his mind.


Registered User
Jun 19, 2016
I wonder if your dad could have a UTI Urinary Tract Infection so you need to try and get him to his GP.

Good luck


Staff online

Forum statistics

Latest member