assisted technology

karenweech

Nov 9, 2006
Coventry
hello, it's karen here again - does anyone know where i can buy assisted technology tools for my mum & has anyone had experience of things that are great
thanks
Karen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
When my mother first had her strokes, I was convinced that there must be some things out there that would make it easier for her to manage everyday tasks. Unfortunately, even the most basic "new" task requires some level of learning - press this button, do this when you hear that etc. and sadly, that is now beyond her. I even got something that when you approach it, it plays a recorded message (this was for the front door) but even that confused her. I got her a speaking radio (i.e. when you touch it, it tells you what to do) but that was beyond her. She has even forgotton how to do things that previously she did every day (e.g. turn on the TV). Her situation is a little different to an AD sufferer - one day she was fine, the next she wasn't, and the brain damage that comes with a stroke, particularly in an 89 year old, isn't really possible to work around. So, if you do find something that will help with your particular situation, see if you can try it out before committing to major outlay. Low tech items can be more helpful - a key safe so that you (and other carers) can open a locked door, motion detector lights for those night time bathroom visits - that sort of thing. I personal dislike those emergency alarm systems - we had no end of trouble with misconnected phones, phones left off the hook tying up the line, but others have had more success.

Jennifer

karenweech

Nov 9, 2006
Coventry
yes i did read the fact sheet but it wasn't clear where i could buy them from & when i tried the Assist UK company it seems like it was for retailers & just had promotional materials available?? was i looking in the wrong place - really appreciate your help!
karen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
No, I think Assist UK is more of an information and clearing house, rather than an online retailer. The disabled living foundation has a list of suppliers http://www.dlf.org.uk/public/suppliers.html which may be of help.

Jennifer

Edited to add:
Your local red cross may have a shop where you can look at various items and try them out.

Last edited:

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Sad but true

jenniferpa said:
When my mother first had her strokes, I was convinced that there must be some things out there that would make it easier for her to manage everyday tasks. Unfortunately, even the most basic "new" task requires some level of learning - press this button, do this when you hear that etc. and sadly, that is now beyond her. I even got something that when you approach it, it plays a recorded message (this was for the front door) but even that confused her. I got her a speaking radio (i.e. when you touch it, it tells you what to do) but that was beyond her. She has even forgotten how to do things that previously she did every day (e.g. turn on the TV). Her situation is a little different to an AD sufferer - one day she was fine, the next she wasn't, and the brain damage that comes with a stroke, particularly in an 89 year old, isn't really possible to work around.
So, if you do find something that will help with your particular situation, see if you can try it out before committing to major outlay. Low tech items can be more helpful - a key safe so that you (and other carers) can open a locked door, motion detector lights for those night time bathroom visits - that sort of thing. I personal dislike those emergency alarm systems - we had no end of trouble with misconnected phones, phones left off the hook tying up the line, but others have had more success.

Jennifer

I've found the same with my Mum. New phone with "one-touch" memory - after a year, she still can't use the shortcode; fortunately she can still dial the old way so far! New radio with preset stations, again one-touch; uh uh, still twiddles the tuner knob backwards & forwards for ages. New (louder) door bell for back door - almost invariably goes to front door (which she doesn't use) first. Goodness knows I don't mind spending money for things which can improve matters, but it's very galling to see expensive 'good ideas' cause nothing but additional confusion (Mum) and frustration (me) to no good effect.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes, frustrating all round. Also, as a side note, I am reasonable certain that some of these adaptive aids, sold as useful for someone with memory problems, have never actually been used by someone with memory problems! One day I'll get around to selling all the useless stuff I've bought on ebay!

Jennifer

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Lynne said:
I've found the same with my Mum. New phone with "one-touch" memory - after a year, she still can't use the shortcode; fortunately she can still dial the old way so far! New radio with preset stations, again one-touch; uh uh, still twiddles the tuner knob backwards & forwards for ages. New (louder) door bell for back door - almost invariably goes to front door (which she doesn't use) first. Goodness knows I don't mind spending money for things which can improve matters, but it's very galling to see expensive 'good ideas' cause nothing but additional confusion (Mum) and frustration (me) to no good effect.

Absolutely the same experience I've had with Mum. Anything "new" brings a look of sheer fear to her face. For a long time I was too obtuse (scared?) to see that I was only making things harder for her - not easier. As hard as it is, I have now faced the fact that if Mum didn't have an object before her dementia commenced, she can not use it. In fact the mere thought terrifies her. Very frustrating when you KNOW somethings would make her life easier, but yet another (horrible) fact about this (horrible) disease. Nell

Splat88

Jul 13, 2005
Essex
It's a good job MIL lives with us, the TV remote, Telephone and mobiles are all the same to her!!!!
If something rings, she picks up the nearest thing, but at least she tries!