Assessment

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
hi all. My mum (87 with Alzheimer’s) is under the GP’s care, but will not go out so hasn’t seen him for about a year. I asked the receptionist if she could organise an assessment because mum seemed to be getting worse. Yesterday I had a call asking if I could pick up a copy of a cognitive test so that I could do it with mum! I refused. Has anyone else been asked to do this?

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
NO! Insist on a visit from the GP, who should make a referral to the Memory Clinic.
That’s what I’ve asked for. The memory clinic discharged mum because donezepil didn’t suit her. However she’s experiencing new symptoms so I’m hoping they may be able to help now. Fingers crossed the GP comes out.

Susan Rouse

Mar 14, 2018
That’s what I’ve asked for. The memory clinic discharged mum because donezepil didn’t suit her. However she’s experiencing new symptoms so I’m hoping they may be able to help now. Fingers crossed the GP comes out.
Don't hope, start quoting from the Patient's Charter NHS- you'll find it from a google search. Like any test, these tests need to be administered by an experienced professional for scoring to be valid, which I am assuming you are not. Plus the patient is more likely to comply better with a figure of authority than with her daughter. Don't think you can insist on a home visit though. Every GP surgery should have what they call a Dementia Champion, ask to make an appointment with that person and go to it with your mum if possible if not, go on your own to express your concerns. I think you need to check when she had her last check because they need to have a reasonable time lapse between these tests for regression to show up. Perhaps your mum just needs to try out a different brand of the medication she's been prescribed which might not have the same adverse effects of the previous one.Good Luck.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
hi all. My mum (87 with Alzheimer’s) is under the GP’s care, but will not go out so hasn’t seen him for about a year. I asked the receptionist if she could organise an assessment because mum seemed to be getting worse. Yesterday I had a call asking if I could pick up a copy of a cognitive test so that I could do it with mum! I refused. Has anyone else been asked to do this?
No! Can't believe it! Honestly sometimes I do ask myself, Isn't this situation, that we are all in, hard enough? You were right to refuse, I believe. I also imagine that the test is worthless unless done by someone authorised (and trained???) to administer it. Even your unconscious cues, etc., as a very close family member, would automatically affect the result and necessitate its being discounted.

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
Thank you all for your replies confirming my own thoughts. I don’t know why I keep being surprised at the things we Carter’s are expected to do. Sometimes it feels like one long battle with everyone and the actual caring isn’t the always the hardest thing!

ChristinaG

Feb 21, 2017
The community mental health team do home visits. My mum was discharged by them, then she deteriorated and i went through the GP asking for mum to be seen again. I took in a video of my mum to show the problem. We did get an appointment after three months but i had to call the CMHT myself. They insisted on her coming in at that time so with huge difficulty and in desperation i took her or rather dragged her. She screamed the whole time and they realised the problem. It was truly awful and i had to force her in and out of the car, then she wouldn't come out of the disabled lift. I followed this up with the CMHT directly myself and they visited after that. Now when she is deteriorating badly i call them direct. They have put her on various meds metazipine, pregabalin and now risperidone none of them seem to work although the last one does calm her a bit. I understand there are a number of different meds to try. When i last spoke to the CMHT it was suggested we try a psychology approach to try and help. Unfortunately my mum is in hospital so we have come to a halt. If you haven't already (and I apologise if you have and I missed this) I suggest you call the CMHT direct to seek a Home visit. There is a generic number and you need to choose the right extension for your area. When i called recently because no follow up had been arranged (her consultant left) a nurse came to do an assessment and she agreed a further home visit by a consultant was required. It does seem to fall on us carers to do a lot of the leg work on these things. Even while mum is in hospital i have waited patiently for help to come to mum but that doesn't happen sadly and I have to keep following things up. It makes things far more difficult than they need be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suzanne F