assessment results

griffy

Jan 10, 2014
Today i visted hospital with my mother. An assessment was carried out answering questions about an hour. This ended with a score of 50/100. What does this mean please just got a bit overwhelmed and cant remember all of what she told us. We have been referred for an urgent mri scan. Just an awful lot to take in its like living in a bubble at the moment. Thanks.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya,

Normally what this would mean at this stage is that the test carried out has indicated that there is something going on and that it warrants further investigation. There isn't a test for alzheimers etc that gives an instant diagnosis so it is done by process of elimination. The scan will, for example, rule out potential other causes like a brain tumour or aneurysm etc that is causing the problem and it may provide details of any lesions on the brain etc to indicate what area of the brain has been damaged. After the results are back, they will pull together all the evidence of the various tests that have been carried out and use this to form the basis of a diagnosis. It is good to see that they are moving quickly through this process as some people have had to go through many months of waiting before they get to this stage.

I know it is hard but taking a day by day approach does help and it can give reassurance to your mum that for today she is being supported and that there is help there to work around any challenges that she might have at that time. Even with a diagnosis, the day to day approach is still necessary as no two people have the same progression. So, there is no point in considering a whole bunch of things that just might never happen in your mum's case.

Hope this helps,

Fiona