Assessment question

Jessie107

Aug 11, 2016
Brighton
My Mother has Alziemers and was only able to stay in her own home with lots of support from my sister and brother.
To cut a long story short she became very difficult to manage she was verbally aggressive, having outbursts of shouting and continually banging the back door at night, even disturbing her neighbours.
Even though my brother stayed in the house at night, she would go out, and lock herself out then go down to her friends house all different hours of the night for a spare key, she would forget my brother was in the house.
She also wouldn't go to bed, she didn't understand that at night people would be in bed so she would go into my brother and just put the lights on, so he didn't get much sleep and had to work the next day
My sister would go and look after her during the day, as my mum couldn't cook or shop for herself but she just couldn't keep it up and mum screaming and shouting at her all the time she reached a point of not being able to continue, my mum also couldn't be left as she was setting light to bits of paper she is a smoker.
And was becoming a danger,, she wouldn't have excepted carers either She didn't want to be left on her own.
I couldn't help as I am housebound with M. E.
My sister and brother were becoming exhausted.
So as my mum got worse we decided to she would have to go into care.
She is self funded.
This was for a months trial
We rang social services at the time she went in and are still waiting for a assessment. But her savings are getting low now The home she is in is council run so we can't get deferred payment, we think the council will loan us some of the money we top up until the house is sold, is this right?
My sister chose this care home and it's really nice and she is very happy with it.
The council seem to be taking for ever to get back to us.
The house has only just gone on the market.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry @Jessie107, it's not something I know about, but I'm going to bump it up and hope someone can help.
In the meantime, have you asked Citizens Advice or AgeUK are pretty good with advice on these matters. There's also the Alzheimer's Society helpline who should point you in the right direction. Their number is 0300 222 1122. It's open 9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday, 9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday, 10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday.
Good luck.

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
My mum had to keep chasing up and get someone’s name for an assessment despite giving them plenty of time before Dads money reached the 24,000 threshold (or whatever the sum is) and they just took more bit quicker until it reached 14,000. It might be more straight forwards if they don’t have to work out how the money is split between two people as it is all your mums, but if it is anything like my mums case then don’t assume it is all in hand, although it probably depends on your area. Sorry I can’t be more help than that x

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The home she is in is council run so we can't get deferred payment, we think the council will loan us some of the money we top up until the house is sold, is this right?

You can get a deferred payment if someone is in a council run home. What should happen is that the LA send you a financial assessment form, and you can then request deferred payment if you don't wish to sell her home. I'm in a similar situation (or was until Mum was made homeless last week!). Basically Mum went in on an emergency 6 week temporary basis, then her stay was made permanent. The LA have had all the documents they need to carry out a financial assessment since November but still haven't sorted this out - they say there is a back log. We wanted to go for a deferred payment to pay the care costs prior to Mum's house being sold but that has also not been sorted out yet. In the meantime we haven't been asked to pay any of the home costs so I'm assuming the LA is still paying this pending completion of their assessment and arranging the deferred payment. Mum is below the savings limit so can't contribute to any costs in the meantime.

Have you been paying your Mum's costs up until now? As it is a council run home I suggest that you talk to the manager of the home about this as they will know who to contact in social services / LA regarding your funding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts