Assessment of my home as regards suitability for mum living here

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Hi. Can anybody tell me what would be involved re having someone come out and assess the suitability of my home where mum has been living the past few months? My sister has been making allegations my home is not suitable for me to care for mum although she hasn't been here for 10 years!! Apparently someone is going to come within the next 3 days to check on this.

At our own expense my fiance has put in 2 handrails up the stairs, put in a downstairs toilet, a walk in shower room in the upstairs bathroom(which had replaced the bath and shower) and is currently creating new level pathways and driveway to the front garden and new level pathway and patio area to the back to make life easier for mum so I'm sure everything is fine as I have a lovely home and this is where mum wants to continue to live. Thank goodness my fiance is really clever and can do all this sort of thing! Xx

Last edited:

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Hi. Can anybody tell me what would be involved re having someone come out and assess the suitability of my home where mum has been living the past few months? My sister has been making allegations my home is not suitable for me to care for mum although she hasn't been here for 10 years!! Apparently someone is going to come within the next 3 days to check on this.

At our own expense my fiance has put in 2 handrails up the stairs, put in a downstairs toilet, a walk in shower room in the upstairs bathroom(which had replaced the bath and shower) and is currently creating new level pathways and driveway to the front garden and new level pathway and patio area to the back to make life easier for mum so I'm sure everything is fine as I have a lovely home and this is where mum wants to continue to live. Thank goodness my fiance is really clever and can do all this sort of thing! Xx

Hi TMB,

Hmm, sounds like you have a nice, supportive sister there!

After one of my dad's hospital admissions, before he was discharged, a social worker came round to look at our house. By that time, dad had been sleeping in the lounge for quite a while, because he found it hard to climb the stairs and also because his night-time shouting kept mum awake.

The only thing the SW was concerned about was the fact that he was sleeping on the sofa instead of in a bed. She said mum would have to have this bed brought downstairs to the lounge. Mum said no way because that would involve people coming into the house and would cause commotion. She also didn't want a bed in the living room. Anyway the sofa was far more comfortable than the ancient bed he had upstairs (I've slept on both and have to agree with her on that one). In the end the SW gave up and dad continues to sleep on the sofa.

We don't really have any extra special fittings for him. There is an extra handrail on the stairs so there is one on each side. and the bath is very shallow and has a handrail, but apart from that there is nothing special. It sounds like you have lots of great features and a lovely home. I wouldn't worry if I were you :)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Your Sister is a piece of work isn't she:mad:

Doesn't sound as though you have anything to worry about so don't give it another thought.

Love

Lyn T XX

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi there

I can only agree with others, your house sounds lovely and it shows how much you care about mum's welfare with the adaptations you have made.

J x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Is that the same sister that's hauling you in front of a judge because she thinks you shouldn't look after Mum? Well, here is your chance to show everybody how suitable your house is and show off the alterations you have done with your own money without costing the council a penny. And if they do have additional suggestions I am sure you will comply willingly.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Try looking at this inspection from a positive angle...a) they can see how well Mum and you two are managing together and b) if extra help is needed they can see exactly what and how such help can be fitted in.:)

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Like Cragmaid has said, see it as them visiting to help you and that's probably exactly what it is, who knows, they may see something you havn't thought of and they will help you implement any changes if you agree. Its another brownie point for you.

Tara62

Feb 25, 2015
West Yorkshire and East Anglia
At our own expense my fiance has put in 2 handrails up the stairs

TryingMyBest, it might be worth seeing if you can get this sort of thing from Social Services, if you need anything else in the future. My father has too much cash to get council-funded care, but in his area all this sort of thing is free, and not means-tested. He got a second handrail put in for free, as well as grab rails on the walls. He has also had free walking sticks, a free raised loo seat, free chair-raiser blocks, a free induction loop system, free smoke alarms ... and probably other stuff that I can't remember offhand. It could be really worth checking.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Update

Good news that I passed with flying colours!! So much for my sister saying my house was unsuitable for mum and a state!!! They were very thorough even measuring the heigth of the chair and bed and width of doors - it took an hour and a half!! Anyway at least thats all over with!! They said my cottage was very pretty and were very impressed with all the adaptations we had put in to make things easier for Mum. xx

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Good news that I passed with flying colours!! So much for my sister saying my house was unsuitable for mum and a state!!! They were very thorough even measuring the heigth of the chair and bed and width of doors - it took an hour and a half!! Anyway at least thats all over with!! They said my cottage was very pretty and were very impressed with all the adaptations we had put in to make things easier for Mum. xx

That is brilliant news. You have cleared that hurdle! x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm so pleased to read that. What a relief it must be to have that over with and so successfully too.
That will stand you in good stead for the court business. Well done.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
TryingMyBest, it might be worth seeing if you can get this sort of thing from Social Services, if you need anything else in the future. My father has too much cash to get council-funded care, but in his area all this sort of thing is free, and not means-tested. He got a second handrail put in for free, as well as grab rails on the walls. He has also had free walking sticks, a free raised loo seat, free chair-raiser blocks, a free induction loop system, free smoke alarms ... and probably other stuff that I can't remember offhand. It could be really worth checking.

Absolutely agree with this. We have had this kind of help as well as funding a lot ourselves. Some people you deal with are very good at telling you what appropriate free aids are available - and some are not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan