Assessment in Hospital Leading to a Placement

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
My OH has vascular dementia. He was in hospital for 4 weeks from the beginning of December due to Urine problems,aggravation & aggression.He came home last Friday with a catheter which he had taken out twice in hospital.
He was admitted to hospital again on Monday evening.His behaviour was up & down all day & at 8.45pm when he was in bed he pulled out the catheter.
He was admitted to the main hospital & transferred to the community hospital yesterday.The hospital tried to send him home.I said NO to 2 different people.I was at the end of my tether before..Now,since I've had him home for only 3 days I know I can't cope anymore.Never thought I'd hear myself say that.
I spoke to the hospital this morning.I was told he would be assessed for CHC (there is no way he would get it as my mum didn't qualify & she was 94)Then she said he would be put on "Placement" & this could take a few weeks.
Any body out there know what this entails? Any advice would be appreciated

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
My OH has vascular dementia. He was in hospital for 4 weeks from the beginning of December due to Urine problems,aggravation & aggression.He came home last Friday with a catheter which he had taken out twice in hospital.
He was admitted to hospital again on Monday evening.His behaviour was up & down all day & at 8.45pm when he was in bed he pulled out the catheter.
He was admitted to the main hospital & transferred to the community hospital yesterday.The hospital tried to send him home.I said NO to 2 different people.I was at the end of my tether before..Now,since I've had him home for only 3 days I know I can't cope anymore.Never thought I'd hear myself say that.
I spoke to the hospital this morning.I was told he would be assessed for CHC (there is no way he would get it as my mum didn't qualify & she was 94)Then she said he would be put on "Placement" & this could take a few weeks.
Any body out there know what this entails? Any advice would be appreciated
Hi, my dad currently in hospital following a fall and pneumonia. The consultant has said he has months to live. We have given notice at his current care home as he now needs nursing care. So effectively, he has nowhere to go, they won’t assess him for CHC funding whilst in hospital, he has been on the current ward for over 4 weeks, bedbound, incontinence and delirious some of the time. Apparently, we are waiting for a pathway 3 bed, where he will be assessed for CHC funding. My advice would be stick to your guns. Everyone is entitled to a form of intermediate care for up to six weeks following an acute hospital stay, especially dementia patients. We have had to battle with the ward staff, discharge staff and PALs. You have already experienced an failed discharge so fight on. Hugs to you xx

Banabarama

Dec 28, 2018
Sussex
I’m going to add to this thread as my husband is also in hospital and has been since 20 December with delerium which isn’t improving. He’s now barely eating and drinking and things are slowing down - he is in dangerous territory. It’s hard dealing with the discharge people but they have backed off a little and I do now accept that they have a difficult job to do. The hospital is short staffed and today the nurses and carers are struggling to keep up with the constant demands of the difficult patients, not least my husband. I am having him assessed for a nursing home tomorrow but failing this hoping to get him home, in the knowledge that this may be just for palliative care. It’s not easy to set up for this and were not there yet. I know it will be desperately hard but he needs peace and quiet. It seems a sudden shock but when I read back through my posts there have been some desperate times for quite a while now. My mind never quite processes this situation - I just stumble along from one thing to the next and hope for the best.

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
I’m going to add to this thread as my husband is also in hospital and has been since 20 December with delerium which isn’t improving. He’s now barely eating and drinking and things are slowing down - he is in dangerous territory. It’s hard dealing with the discharge people but they have backed off a little and I do now accept that they have a difficult job to do. The hospital is short staffed and today the nurses and carers are struggling to keep up with the constant demands of the difficult patients, not least my husband. I am having him assessed for a nursing home tomorrow but failing this hoping to get him home, in the knowledge that this may be just for palliative care. It’s not easy to set up for this and were not there yet. I know it will be desperately hard but he needs peace and quiet. It seems a sudden shock but when I read back through my posts there have been some desperate times for quite a while now. My mind never quite processes this situation - I just stumble along from one thing to the next and hope for the best.
I really feel for you, we are just taking one day at a time. Like you, the discharge person has backed off. I suspect, there are no intermediate bed available. Thankfully, dad seems content most of the time. We have been unable to find a nursing placement locally, so who knows where he will end up. X

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
I really feel for you, we are just taking one day at a time. Like you, the discharge person has backed off. I suspect, there are no intermediate bed available. Thankfully, dad seems content most of the time. We have been unable to find a nursing placement locally, so who knows where he will end up. X
An update on dad, he is still in hospital and actually very content. I think he can relate to hospitals!! Still bedbound, incontinent and staring at the ceiling most of the time, very distant. He is eating now but not drinking. He has lost his cough reflex, we watch him carefully while eating. One issue when he is eating, he seems to overfill his mouth and continues to stuff the food in. We are now having issues with discharge. We agreed that dad would be discharge to an assessment bed to enable CHC assessment to be done. Apparently now he is not eligible, they have said he can have funded nursing care even though he has not had the checklist done. We need time to find an appropriate nursing home but they seem determined to discharge dad with nowhere to go. I can’t believe the NHS has come to this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan Smith