Assessment for continuing care

Heather A

Nov 2, 2003
Co Durham
My husband was diagnosed as having multi farct dementia and AD
However his physical and health needs now greatly outweigh his mental health needs. I have been informed that the social worker has requested the continuing care coordinator from the PCT to assess his nursing needs. Does anyone have any experience of such an assessment and is there anything I should be aware of.
pre warned is pre armed!

heather

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Heather,

Same as my Jan then, pretty much.

Jan has Continuing Care funding and has been re-assessed at least twice, the result each time being that her level of care was increased to the point where, besides the normal Continuing Care funding, she also has 24 hour 1-to-1 funding.

When Jan was assessed - each time - she was either at the hospital assessment unit, or in the care home where she now lives, so I have no personal knowledge of the process whereby she was granted the funding.

I did contribute to the discussions this last time, when I had a session with the man from Social Services.

Due to Jan's great care needs, I have not really needed to contribute that much to the assessments.

Key thing really is to be totally up front about your husband's condition. Don't try and cover for him, which is what one tends to do.

Good luck. This level of funding is sad in that it reflects a particularly acute situation, but it also takes a level of financial worry out of the equation and enables us to concentrate on the important person.

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Nada, do you know of any links that give info on NHS help and help for dementia A/D etc in N. Ireland?
Thanks
Magic

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Thanks Nada, that is the number I rang and they were a great source of advice, would recommend them to anyone in my area.
All the best
Magic