Assessment for CHC????

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by melbee, Jul 22, 2010.

  1. melbee

    melbee Registered User

    Sep 23, 2006
    North West England
    Hi, I have not been on here for a while, and to be honest am just about coping with everything to do with my Mums illness on a daily basis. She is self-funding in a dual residential/nursing home.
    Today I thought I would try to see if my Mum qualifies for CHC. I have been in touch with a company that say they can claim back all fees paid for care so far, and get CHC for the future. I know this, if it can be done, will incur huge fees, so thought Id approach the local PCT myself, to get an assessment.
    PCT lady told me as Mum is residential care and not nursing care, I would have to get a Generic Community Nurse, from her GP practise to do this.
    My Mum with Alzheimers is in the home with no mobility, doubly incontinent, has to be washed, dressed and fed. She has no communication skills and is on medication, that she would otherwise be unmanagable with her moods.
    I have read that it is a huge mountain to climb to get CHC, but can anyone advise me if there is more I can do. Are we entitled to a social worker? I keep hitting brick walls.........

    I was also advised by 'someone' at the home that Mum had to be nursing care to qualify, and as she was only paying the lower residential fees, it was not a good idea not to pursue it as her fees could increase to nursing, and she would not necessarily get the CHC.
    I only want to do what is best......... Please advise, Mel xx
  2. BeckyJan

    BeckyJan Registered User

    Nov 28, 2005
    Hello Mel:

    The following link may help:

    That seems a rash statement! If your Mum has a Nursing Care assessment she could be assessed for Cont.Care at the same time. If she is deemed not to qualify for CC but is assessed for nursing, then the PCT should fund the nursing cost (around £106 per week).

    I suggested you read the document above and then if you wish to pursue CC, we can help you to find the appropriate checklists.
  3. Lost Perci

    Lost Perci Registered User

    Mar 31, 2010

    Hi Mel

    It's not always as bad as it seems on forums! Many people are awarded NHS-funding at the first attempt with no problems. Bear in mind that the only cases people usually hear about are the ones with problems!

    Certainly ask the Community Nurse to put in an application. The first meeting (called a 'Multi-Disciplinary Team meeting') is around 2-3 hours for the ones I've been to. If you get an unfavourable decision, you can challenge.

    Everyone who is a citizen of the UK and resident here is entitled to an assessment and advice by a Social Worker. One will have to be present at the MDT meeting anyway.

    I'd give this private company a wide berth - there are people out there who will advise and/or help you for free (like the Alzheimer's Society!)

    Let us know how you go on!

  4. Clive

    Clive Registered User

    Nov 7, 2004
    Hi Mel

    My mum was in a Residential Home and she qualified for NHS Continuing Health Care which paid all her fees. She remained in the Residential Home, with NHS paying the fees, until she died.

    If your mum is paying her own fees it is important that you apply… and keep applying… for NHS CC. Many of us have been in your position and have had to push hard to get things moving. Don’t give up.

    I don’t think you will need to pay any company to help you. If you continue to have concerns why not give the Alzheimer’s Society a ring and see if they can put you in touch with someone who can talk to you.

    As you find out more please continue to post on TP.

    Best wishes

  5. florence43

    florence43 Registered User

    Jul 1, 2009
    Hi Mel,

    My mum is in exactly the same position, in terms of her mobility etc. After a stay in hospital (UTI), the social care team applied for CHC on our behalf.

    She has her assessment coming up (no date yet), but she is being moved to a nursing home tomorrow, having been assessed for nursing care. We were told that because she is completely dependent (immobile, on meds but can't take them herself, doubly incontinent, can't feed herself, on pureed food, can't drink without a straw, can't hold the cup, can't wash or dress...) that she automatically qualifies for the Nursing element of her care. So the £108 or suchlike is already going to be covered in the home.

    I'm not optimistic about CHC because I know how hard it can be, but we're ready to appeal (even though she's not even been refused!!).

    I don't know much about this and I've had to learn the basics so very quickly, but your mum and my mum sound very alike and if the authorities think mum meets the criteria, then it's definitely worth a shot.

    Do speak to the Alzheimer's Society in your area, or Citizen's Advice to find who to contact, but I would also urge you to steer clear of anyone claiming they can get it for a fee. If she's eligible, your mum will get it without them. Just a few phone calls and the ball will start rolling. You can also ask about the Nursing element in the same calls.

    Best of luck and see this as something you're mum is entitled to. Research a little and someone at the right agency will hopefully make it easier than it seems right now!

    Hope we both get it for our mum's eh?

    Annie xx

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.