Assessment for Care home from hospital

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
my husband is currently in hospital but is now ready for discharge. He is at the severe stage of Alzheimer’s. Prior to his admission he attended a day centre 4 days a week. Next door is a Care home which allows the residents to also attend the day centre. I have spoken to the Care home manager asking if he could be admitted initially for respite but with a view to permanent residential care. He said once we have the details from the hospital social worker he will go in and assess my husband for admission. What form will his assessment take?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The home will be assessing to see that they can meet all of your husband's needs. When my Mum was assessed they just came in and spoke to the ward sister about any specific care needs and said they would take her. It might be useful if you are there when the assessment takes place, and if you haven't already done so conduct an assessment of the home yourself to make sure that your husband's needs will be met. Look at things like staff to resident ratios, are other residents at a similar stage to your husband and how caring the staff are. As your husband is at severe stage make sure that they are also able to meet his future needs too. Don't let the fact that their residents can go to the day centre be a deciding factor. (I see from your previous thread that your husband is not self-funding and the local authority are paying for his day centre. You may find that they will not continue to pay for this once he is in a home)

In my Mum's case the hospital wanted her out and it was all done very quickly. The home assessed her and she was discharged the next morning without giving me time to visit the home for myself. Although they said that they could meet her needs the home was really not the right environment for Mum and she was subsequently moved after 3 weeks due to safeguarding issues. Some homes will say that they can meet someone's needs when in fact they can't, and it is very disruptive to have to move someone to a new environment so it's important to make sure that you are happy that they are the right home for your husband.

Last edited:

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
The home will be assessing to see that they can meet all of your husband's needs. When my Mum was assessed they just came in and spoke to the ward sister about any specific care needs and said they would take her. It might be useful if you are there when the assessment takes place, and if you haven't already done so conduct an assessment of the home yourself to make sure that your husband's needs will be met. Look at things like staff to resident ratios, are other residents at a similar stage to your husband and how caring the staff are. As your husband is at severe stage make sure that they are also able to meet his future needs too. Don't let the fact that their residents can go to the day centre be a deciding factor. (I see from your previous thread that your husband is not self-funding and the local authority are paying for his day centre. You may find that they will not continue to pay for this once he is in a home)

In my Mum's case the hospital wanted her out and it was all done very quickly. The home assessed her and she was discharged the next morning without giving me time to visit the home for myself. Although they said that they could meet her needs the home was really not the right environment for Mum and she was subsequently moved after 3 weeks due to safeguarding issues. Some homes will say that they can meet someone's needs when in fact they can't, and it is very disruptive to have to move someone to a new environment so it's important to make sure that you are happy that they are the right home for your husband.
Hello Louise7. Thank you very much for your reply. Our GP and his Dementia nurse have been telling me for the last year to prepare for the time when residential care will be needed. He has Dysphasia as well. So when he was suddenly admitted to hospital I selected 4 Care homes due to theirCQC ratings and friends’recommendations. I visited all of them and spoke to their managers and staff. I felt the one attached to his day centre would be most suitable as it would give him continuity and he really enjoys going there. They keep a couple of beds for emergency admissions and said there wouldn’t be a problem.he could also attend the day centre as long and as often as he wanted to. But they cannot go in and assess him until the hospital social worker has seen us. The ward sister has said it is all “in hand” and has said she has heard it won’t be a problem.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Hello Louise7. Thank you very much for your reply. Our GP and his Dementia nurse have been telling me for the last year to prepare for the time when residential care will be needed. He has Dysphasia as well. So when he was suddenly admitted to hospital I selected 4 Care homes due to theirCQC ratings and friends’recommendations. I visited all of them and spoke to their managers and staff. I felt the one attached to his day centre would be most suitable as it would give him continuity and he really enjoys going there. They keep a couple of beds for emergency admissions and said there wouldn’t be a problem.he could also attend the day centre as long and as often as he wanted to. But they cannot go in and assess him until the hospital social worker has seen us. The ward sister has said it is all “in hand” and has said she has heard it won’t be a problem.
Fast forward to today. Got so fed up waiting for the promised visit from the hospital social worker which hasn’t happened yet despite several enquiries. So I found a really nice Care home with a good CQC inspection report who happens to have a vacant bed. I told the manager we are still waiting for the funding to be approved by the elusive social worker. He told me not to worry he would come and assess husband in hospital and sort funding for him. Wow. This has put the cat among the pigeons. Hospital tried to block him coming in before social worker did her assessment. He came in anyway and did his. Suddenly SW will be coming first thing in the morning. Ward sister told me to stand my ground and not be fobbed off with a home care package which she thinks will be their first option. Said she has put a strong report in our favour. Let’s hope so. One step forward two steps back all the time.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
I hope it is resolved soon. It must be shattering for you. X
Thank you AliceA. It’s the waiting for people to turn up. On the one hand we are told everything is fine and in hand. The next minute there are doubts and notes and referrals have been lost. It’s a roller coaster

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you AliceA. It’s the waiting for people to turn up. On the one hand we are told everything is fine and in hand. The next minute there are doubts and notes and referrals have been lost. It’s a roller coaster
I think the name is torture! Please keep in touch with how it goes. X

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Check anywhere you choose is with the SS budget- that can cause problems when the funding isn't sufficient and may mean that he'd have to be moved again, or you pay a hefty top up

The wheels seem to turn so slowly. try not to get too upset about it, as long as he is safe and cared for at the moment try not to worry.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Check anywhere you choose is with the SS budget- that can cause problems when the funding isn't sufficient and may mean that he'd have to be moved again, or you pay a hefty top up

The wheels seem to turn so slowly. try not to get too upset about it, as long as he is safe and cared for at the moment try not to worry.
Thank you Jessbow. I have been told to wait for a phone call this morning while they make a decision. I hate to think he is being treated like a parcel which nobody wants

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Thank you Jessbow. I have been told to wait for a phone call this morning while they make a decision. I hate to think he is being treated like a parcel which nobody wants
The home is within the local authority funding bracket

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins