assessed at last

judyjudy

Mar 19, 2008
west sussex
She had her assessment today and the result...she is now diagnosed as EMI and it is considered that she is no longer safe at home on her own - nursing homes here we come. Case conference organised for next week to decide where we go from here. It is a very sad day for her (not that she is aware of it yet)and a very sad day for me. Judy

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Judy, yes it must seem a very sad day for both of you.
and it is considered that she is no longer safe at home on her own

Please try to find the positive in the situation. She will be safe and cared for 24/7. You can spend quality time together.

Never ideal, but sometimes we just have to accept that we need more help.

Please let us know how the nursing home hunt goes.
I am so sorry.

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Judy
I was saddened to hear the news about mum. I remember when I heard similar news about Dad, its devastating. Stay strong and keep posting.
take care
hendy

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
so sorry
you must be relived that she has been assessed but sad at the outcome.
hope thing go well with the hunt for a good home.
take care

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Judy,

It is awful to be told (or realise) that one's loved one is no longer safe at home, but please, please be relieved that she will now be looked after constantly and you will worry no more about what might happen.

The day I took my parents into their care home I had breakfast with them before their left their home they had been in for 40 years. The bread in the toaster was a bit slow for Mum's liking so she got a knife to prise the toast out, fortunately I stopped her in time! If I ever have any doubts about whether I did the right thing, I always think of the "toaster incident". Maybe there has been something in your life you can recall if you ever have any doubts.

Good luck, I hope you find somewhere nice for her.

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Judy
I've just realised on my thread there is some very useful advice from Tina things to look out for when looking for a home. Some of it might not all be relevant, but extremely useful none the less. I've used Tina's checklist, just in the last few days. Here's the link
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=9973&page=7.
take care
hendy

ps here's another link to an info pack about choosing a home. Check it out when you feel ready.
http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/socialcare/residentialcare/choosing/choosing-carehome.pdf

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Judy,
I understand how sad a day it is for you and for your mother, but if you find a good home, the day she is admitted, I sincerely hope you have the feeling of rellief I felt, when I realizd my mother would no longer be at risk.
Take care xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Judy

It is sad to be told that 24-hour care is necessary. I was devastated when I was told.

But now, six months on, I know it was the right decision. John receives far better care than I could possibly give him on my own, and I really enjoy my visits to the home.

Take your time in finding the right home, you'll know it when you see it.

Good luck,

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Dear Judy

Mum was in hospital when we received the news that she needed nursing care. We had suspected it but it was sad to see her never to return to her own home. At the same time though the sense of relief at losing the day to day worry about was she OK, had she done anythign silly, etc. was huge.

It is a time of such mixed emotions. But once she settled into her care home life was much better and we were able to do enjoyable things, go out for lunch, shopping, just watch TV together as we had done in the past. I could leave knowing that she was in safe hands.

Mostly the guilt disappears.

Love

Mameeskye

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dear Judy,
So sorry you've reached this stage in this horrible process. Tomnorrow my Mum is getting the results of the scans she had months ago - her official diagnosis (only had it verbally so far - if I hadn't badgered them I don't think we'd ever have heard from them again). She is still just about able to live alone, but for us it's the start of - well whatever comes next. Maybe she will be prescribed something - I think my Dad was at this stage.
Best wishes,
Carolyn

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
My mum still hankers after her home, now sold to pay for her care (what a financial mistake!). She knows it has been sold. To a lovely young couple just like she and my dad were when they bought it. My dad would be delighted it had been sold to such a couple. And I believe my dad knew both their fathers. She constantly says she is going to find somewhere else to live cos she can't stand any more in the home. I cry, boy do I cry!

We do a lot of crying with this illness.

Love

Margaret

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132