Asking for a reconsideration of attendance allowance after 1st application declined..

Sallyh7

Apr 20, 2013
Hi All,

So.... I applied for attendance allowance for my dad and got a letter back saying that he cannot have it. Has anyone else had the same and did you get any support in filling in the forms so that the decision was changed? I have asked for help from the memory clinic but no one has contacted me and I have no idea where to go next? Sometimes it all just feels too much to cope with. x

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I believe Alzheimers Society your local one may be able to help. or Age Uk

My brother had help from his Alzheimers society.

Good luck

Jeannette

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Sallyh7, I did the Attendance Allowance forms for my mum. Mum was in hospital so I had help from the hospital social worker. I'm a long distance away so I emailed replies and she advised about the right terminology to use. I think Age UK and your local Alzheimer's Society branch will also offer help. I hope you manage to find some help.

turbo

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
We appealed when they turned us down and then they awarded the higher amount without us changing anything on the form!

Always a good idea to get someone to look over the form with you but do appeal.

Dearie Me

Feb 2, 2012
Scotland
We had a visit from a guy from the DWP, who was lovely. He completed the form as we answered his questions, and AA was awarded no problem. It was quite painless, but obviously I had to be with mum to give accurate answers.

witchpig

Dec 31, 2011
Maidstone Kent
Try your local carers project for help.
ALWAYS appeal as it shows that you really need help. I was told that by a court offical when my daughters dla was refused. Also alot of the decision makers have NO medical training or experiance.

Sallyh7

Apr 20, 2013
Hi All,

thank you for the replies, I had some help today from the local Alzheimer's Society so hopefully the DWP will look at the appeal... will keep you updated. I hope everyone is well x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfisch