Asked for an appointment and got a text to go for blood tests

Liz53

Nov 24, 2021
The text tells me to go for blood tests and that I will see the GP 5 weeks after that. Noone has even spoken to me about my brain functioning concerns. It feels very hard not to have any human communication and I feel very anxious. Is this a result of Covid pressures? Is this the new norm?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Liz53 and welcome to Talking Point.

There are several things that can mimic dementia - vit B12 deficiency and underactive thyroid among others. Most of the things that mimic dementia can be picked up with a blood test, so if you saw your GP first, he wouldnt be able to do anything until you had a blood test, so it would be a wasted appointment. This way, you have these tests first and then when you see the GP they can say either that the blood test has picked up a problem and you can be started on treatment or, if the blood tests are normal, he can start investigations.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Liz53, I was just typing the same things about ruling out causes other than dementia when @canary posted. Welcome to Dementia Talking Point, you'll find lots of support here.
I don't know if these fact sheets will be of any help, but rather than worry about what the blood tests mean, can you get hold of your GP and ask? Easier said than done I know.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
GPs have certainly cut back on face-to-face appointments since the pandemic began. At my surgery you first have to have a telephone conversation with a clinician who will then decide whether you need to be seen at the surgery. I can understand why you feel anxious and unsupported by your surgery; receiving that text must feel very cold.

Are fewer face-to-face appointments going to be the new normal? I think that they may be. There are too few GPs for the ever increasing demand for their services and practices are looking for ways to manage that demand. I am part of my practice's PPG and was told that experienced clinicians only call in about 20-25% of the patients they triage, the implication being that the remainder can be dealt with remotely or should not be troubling the surgery at all. I do worry that something will be lost if we move to a system of predominantly remote consultations.

Liz53

Nov 24, 2021
Hi @Liz53 and welcome to Talking Point.

There are several things that can mimic dementia - vit B12 deficiency and underactive thyroid among others. Most of the things that mimic dementia can be picked up with a blood test, so if you saw your GP first, he wouldnt be able to do anything until you had a blood test, so it would be a wasted appointment. This way, you have these tests first and then when you see the GP they can say either that the blood test has picked up a problem and you can be started on treatment or, if the blood tests are normal, he can start investigations.
Thank you