AS support worker at GP surgery once a week

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I recently picked up an AS flyer in my GP surgery giving contact details of dementia support worker who is at the surgery for a full day once a week. I managed to contact her and her intervention helped very much and hopefully will continue.:) Check out if your GP surgery has similar.:)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes. Ours did and was very useful earlier this year when I was at al low ebb. He did a lot of phoning and contacting for me and always got back to me with updates.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Our surgery said they were going to start something similar. Unfortunately, nothing has happened. Over the last 6 months although two us have been nagging them to start.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Our surgery said they were going to start something similar. Unfortunately, nothing has happened. Over the last 6 months although two us have been nagging them to start.

Keep nagging Spamar:)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I will Sue. We've got a ppg meeting soon, so will get my chance. I must say the running of the surgery has gone down since the old practice manager left!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I spoke a bit too soon:mad::rolleyes: the good that was done by one GP via the AS link has promptly been undone today by another non dementia aware GP:mad:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Grrr! What did they get so wrong Sue?

I asked if GP would respond at appt firstly by recognizing this is a dementia issue (which they should know of old:rolleyes: according to their own records) but also by suggesting that daily carers would help (it needs to be initiated from GP) , GPs response was good, some investigations started sample requested when sample taken in friend asks about carer to be phoned later by different GP (who does know her) saying they can't do that:mad:

I need to get back on to AS worker who said she may need to visit but this patient wasn't on her list (but should have been in my view) so all not lost but just makes life so much harder. They have no clue how difficult things have been for a very long time. I'm on my knees with it without my own condition and am at same surgery:(

Last edited:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Oh dear Sue. It started so well. :(

Thanks Sylvia, yes it did. Well the rate she is attending GP is going up so they'll have to do something, when someone very independent is willing to accept a carer you can't afford to miss the opportunity however the logistics are worked out. :)

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
The problem here is that yes you can get a volunteer from carers support or attend certain groups but the need for the help from so many is that they stop the help and you're left high and dry again and screaming again!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Better news, AS worker followed up with me to check outcome and has now intervened and home visit arranged very soon:) the 'new' GP has got the ball rolling too.:)