As if there isn't enough to worry about.....

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Must admit I take a lot of these soundbite research results with a pinch of salt. Hard to tell how much depth there is in such studies.

I read a recent survey in Mens Health Magazine that says a Vasectomy can affect Your Mind and increase the risk of alzheimers by up to 80%.

Can't find the original article online but here is the gist of it:

http://nydailynews.healthology.com/men_mentalhealth/article4846.htm

It would be nice to have a list of these theories and how many are supported by the alzheimers society etc.

Kind Regards
Craig

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I suspect that simply living increases the risk of dementia.

Nobody, let's face it, has the faintest idea what is the cause.

Everyone is simply clutching at the least thing.

Fortunately, nobody has linked it to Danish pastries yet.

[and if they have, please don't tell me]:eek:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Must admit I take a lot of these soundbite research results with a pinch of salt.

Salt???? Yikes - that's bad for you too!!! :D As someone who has tried to cut out salt, fat, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol ...... all of which increases my stress levels and is therefore more likely to lead to high blood pressure and heart disease .....:rolleyes:

I'm thinking of giving up drinking water next before someone gives me a warning that that may be bad for my health!!!!!:D

Love, Karen, x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
What about breathing, Karen?

All sorts of impurities in the air, who knows what they're doing to our brains!:eek:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
My mum died of heart disease, my blood pressure is sky high, my thyroid levels are fluctuating........so probably a candidate for something or other.

Stress levels off the scale this afternoon/evening, why?
Internet connection going haywire, and I had several emails that I had to send.

In the end I just sat on the phone,,,,,,,,,,,(press 1 for..press 2 for...) every call I made. Purgatory.

Ah well, all in a typical day. At this rate I shall take up eating Danishes to calm me down......no risk there.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
People try to put us down, talking about my generation

Hope I die before I get old, talking about my generation.
Sod that for a game of soldiers.;)

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow ????
Bruce, have the extra cake:)
BarbX:)

PS I won't tell anyone;)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Sandy,
Thanks for the link (not that it cheered me & my fat belly up much :eek:). My bookmark is straight into TP so I seldom think about looking around the rest of the site. I must try to do that once in a while.

Thanks again!:)

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
I'm a little dubious about these reports and studies.

I used to work in statistics for the government and frankly it's not hard to "jiggle" about facts and figures to support the conclusion that you want.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Kate,
I know what you mean.

I'm a little dubious about these reports and studies.

It was a large sample - over 6,500 people - over a long time frame of 36 years. So it seems to have more validity than very small samples. The time frame is especially interesting.

Let's face it, we can assume that being overweight will lead to all kinds of problems down the road. I just selfishly wish that being a little (;)) tubby would be a good thing. I do know I would last longer in a famine but that's not just because of my belly fat. I'm also quite prepared to fight for my food.:D

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Oh well as I finish of my cream cake look at my big belly , I'll think of rolling up the Marijuana that May block the Alzheimer's I am going to be from having a big belly :D

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Margarita

Did you mean to mention your hot toddies as well?!!
I've just caught up with this thread... fat belly (yep)
danish pastry(yep),(did anyone mention chocolate??) are there any studies into comfort eating?
Roll on(literally) dawn french aka vicar of dibley.
Perhaps we should start our own study, there seems to be a few likely candidates. Hypothesis: Does comfort eating really help stress?
take care (of the chocolate)
hendy

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
If anyone is anything like me, discomfort is what you feel after lots of comfort eating.

Maggie, I'll join you in the reefer - we can sit & eat cakes & candies & smoke our brains out.

Last edited: