'Artificial' Money

scattysue

Aug 20, 2015
My sister was admitted to a care home (nursing and dementia) just over 2 months ago. She has settled remarkably well and relates well to both staff and other residents.
She likes to have money in her purse, but any money I have given her since her admission has disappeared. I understand she may have put it away 'safely, shown it to other residents, left it in some of the communal rooms , but I cannot bring myself to refuse to give her money when she asks for it although there is nothing she needs money for as I deal with all her expenses.

I wondered if anyone had come across realistic looking fake money that I could give her so that she would believe she had money in her purse, without constantly having to top up with the real thing. I'm not sure if she would realise that such money was not real but I think it would be worth a try.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Hi, my Mum is the same and likes to have money in her purse. I put copper in one side and small silver units in the other, a Tesco club card which she thinks is a hole in the wall card, happy days

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
My dad was the same, the care home bought some fake money for him, but it was much smaller but surprisingly he did accept it, but the problem was some staff kept forgetting to take his wallet out of his trouser pocket so it kept getting washed and the notes just couldn't cope with that.

So I ended up photocopying real notes, both sides and sticking them together. This works really well if there is no risk of them getting wet, just make sure the care home are aware you have done this. However to stop them getting wet I bought a spray on waterproof sealant for paper which worked well.

My dad finally forgot about his money issues and I ended up passing the notes onto another family who's mother was obsessed with having money in her purse.

scattysue

Aug 20, 2015
Many thanks to all who replied. I will investigate your suggestions and see what I can use.
Thanks again for your help