Article on Research in Living With Dementia

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
The December/January Living with Dementia magazine is now available which you can see online if you wish.

I was especially interested in the Research with Results article which explains that the Society has been a forerunner in research since 2009.

At the bottom of the article you will see a link to the Dementia Research Impact Report (1990-2012).
This is also worth reading and covers such areas as:
1. Improving diagnosis
2. Developing new treatments and working towards a cure
3. Building knowledge of the causes
4. Providing better healthcare and support
5. Understanding risk factors and prevention

When I reflect on how little was known when my Father suffered 15 years up until
1978 and some slight improvements when my husband first suffered in 1998, then I can only be heartened that there will be more improvements for the next generation.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
That's very interesting. I am particularly pleased to read that plans are being made to attract young scientists for the future.

For the next five years, we aim to increase our annual investment in research to more than £10 million. Through this we will attract more young scientists to this fascinating yet underfunded field and build the dementia research community of the future.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
On Page 5 of this month`s magazine , I was interested in the article Hopes for future drugs.

It does show how much work is on going but also how long term this research is.