Article on Lord and Lady Callaghan

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi All,

Still feeling like a newbie and finding my way around TP, but I wanted to share this article on former prime minister Jim Callaghan and his wife Audrey. Most of you probably saw the news that Lord Callaghan had passed away last week. He died 11 days after his wife Audrey had died.

This article appeared after Lady Callaghan's death (but before her husband's death) and gives a picture of how she and her husband dealt with her AD. The picture of the former PM as a loving husband and carer is quite touching. In truth, the same levels of love and dedication can be found all over these message boards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...all19.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/03/19/ixhome.html

Take care,

Sandy

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dear Sndy
welcome to TP.
It is a lovely article about Lord Callaghan,thanks for letting us know.
Have you seen the AS booklet?
Go to www.alzheimer's.org.uk/news and you can download a copy
Best wishes
Norman

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Sandy - and thanks Norman (as usual)

Hi, thanks for the info about Jim Callaghan. I really had no idea that his wife had suffered from dementia. I followed the web site you suggested and enjoyed the article therein. I should have replied sooner, but life is difficult at present, so glad Norman did the honours. Regards, Connie. Sorry, I meant I really should have posted the first time I read your posting. After all, If knowone posts, we have no forum (do I make sense) Probrably not.....Con

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Dear Norman and Connie,

Glad you enjoyed the article. The coverage of AD in the media is so variable, it's hard to know what to "bring to the table". I just thought is was a very well-written, sensitive piece.

It is also heartening to see the change in attitudes towards discussing these difficult and personal issues in public.

Thanks Norman for the welcome and the pointer to more good information. The Alzheimer's Society web site is a real gold mine of information.

And Connie, I understood exactly what you meant. I often read other posts and reflect on them for awhile (especially still being a newbie) before replying.

Take care,

Sandy

Chris

May 20, 2003
Thank you Sandy - I have been passing the web - Telegraph article around too - hope someone is evaluating this Forum - reckon we havce done so much global awareness apart from everything else !!!!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I finally got around to reading the article!

Excellent piece, and I had no idea that he was caring for her.

So many familiar threads, especially the 50/50 aspect.

Thanks for telling us about it!

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Same goes for me Sandy - as you say a "very well-written, sensitive piece."

Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson