Arrrrrrghhhhhh! how do I get through this?

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
If having Mum with AD was bad enough, the friction between my parents due to Mums memory is worse.
Knowing what I know about dementia, I do think my Dad may have MCI or FTLD but nothing diagnosed of course, as his memory is generally good.
But boy he has no understanding, concept or acceptance of Mums condition what so ever.
Compassionate communication, especially the " don't argue, don't try to reason" is beyond him.

Dad blames Mum for something, she blames him. He says... She says.... !
If something has been lost he has Mum looking all over the house for whatever it is , and sending her in a right state, when it maybe something that has been given to me for safekeeping, but he won't check with me first.

I really don't think Dad can handle much more as it is, and Mum is at breaking point with Dads foul moods.:(

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Hard, isn't it? My late father couldn't grasp what we used to say about 'easy choices' ie give mum choices that include the answer ( ''would you like a ham or a cheese sandwich'') and persisted in asking ''would you like a sandwich'' , to which mum always replied ''no'', then he'd get cross because she wouldn't eat.

He just couldn't grasp the fact that she couldn't think out what she wanted, so it was easier to just refuse.

So he then got cross because she'd refused lunch ( again) then she'd get grumpy because he was cross with her, and so the circle went round.

Sadly they spent their last few years in a 'not happy with eachother' place, which was so sad,

Don't know how to make it better for you, just understand because we went there too, xx

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I am sorry to hear about your mum and dad some people just never get it do they, I don't know what to advise but I hope that someone will be along soon who can help you,

Oh I see Jessbow has answered as well,
Best wishes Jeany x