1. Big phil

Big phil Registered User

Jun 27, 2007
    East Sussex
    Beneficial ..

Hi sheena... and others.. My wife was prescribed Aricept. n my (humble) opinion it held off the progress of the disease for 3-4 years. It was only when she began to refuse to take it, including throwing away the supplies or hiding them, that the decline noticeably began again.

I cant fathom out why 'nice'(spelt nasty!), wont allow it at 2.50 per day its just a shade less then the cost of a nursing home per day !!... or maybe I'm just not a mathmatician.

Perhaps its cos they make the rele's pay for nursing homes that makes it a good deal for the gov't ?? or have I got my cynical hat on??

:rolleyes:

2. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Phil, that's a reality hat

NICE certainly is spelled "nasty".

Like you, I cannot understand the idiots in government who make these ridiculous decisions, which actually cost much more in the long run. Here in Ontario there certainly is a push to get people in a NH sooner, it feels like. When in actuality it would be cheaper for more care to keep people at home longer.

But let's not bring logic & rationality into it......