Aricept

dickyb

Aug 24, 2006
Manchester
Hi there

I'm new to this forum so apologies if this question has been asked before!
My Dad has been on Aricept for about a year and a half. His three children, of which I am one, have grave concerns over the care provided by his new wife, who for one reason or another is attempting to isolate him from friends, family and importantly, medical professionals he knows and trusts.
One of the things she has told us is that you can only take Aricept for a short time before it stops working. It makes an incredible differnce to Dad, when he is reminded to take it.
If anyone knows anything about this drug and it's long term use I would be very grateful!

Many thanks
Richard

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
When David was first given Aricept some two years ago, our GP and friend said that it should keep him on a plateau (or give some improvement) for a year or two, and then it will be less effective. I think many on TP will have different experiences - but all the folk I know want to keep Aricept on for as possible and I some have been taking it for 5/6 yrs. There may be some who disagree but when we get to the bitter end I may agree to withdrawing them. Before that stage I think I will purchase Ebixa unless there is strong evidence against it for him at that time. (on second thoughts I think I may be getting near to that point now - need to start asking questions again!!.

So the new wife may be partially correct - but very few people want their loved ones off it at all! (it will be in her interests to keep him on a plateau of reasonable behaviour such as washing and dressing himself, avoiding mood swings, etc etc.0.

Not sure if this helps. Best wishes Beckyjan

sek.kong

Aug 30, 2006
east anglia -ish
Hello Richard
What I was told when Mum started on it ( only a month ago) was that if it worked, there should be at least a plateau or a slight improvement, as said in the previous post. Mini mental tests are done periodically and if the improvement/ plateau continues than so can the medication. Some people have been on it for quite a while.
The other proviso is that there's no medical reasons for discontinuing. Hope this helps.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
H i Dicky b
As my friend Bruce says"you have seen one AD sufferer,you have seen one AD sufferer".
My wife has taken Aricept for 11+ years now and we are on a very slow decline.
The memory tests are very low scores, but our consultant continues to prescribe.
He says if we stop the medication there is no going back.
Aricept has given us time that we would not have had without it.
Hope this helps
Norman

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi dickyb,

You might want to take a look at a report from the BBC's news web site from six months ago or so. It explains how research carried out with people in the latter stages of AD continue to benefit from Aricept:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4832574.stm

This of course is the kind of evidence that makes people so upset with the recent guideance from NICE.

And just a few days ago, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Aricept for treatment of severe dementia:

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2006/NEW01491.html

Take Care,

Sandy

Last edited: